Gas Cubby v2.7 UI issues - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Unhappy Gas Cubby v2.7 UI issues

I used v2.6 once - the version where you could not see the date spinners at all. I checked and saw v2.7 is available, so I upgraded, and can now see the date spinners when entering the date for a fill up.
The following comments are for v2.7 running on an iPhone 5 on iOS 7

Why even have date spinners? Could we not just have a calendar selector?
-- but this is probably the lowest priority of the issues
1) when entering cost and gallons, the entry row switches to white text on a grey background. It is hard to see what you are entering. The rows you are NOT ENTERING are easy to see -- Black text on a white background.
2) on the "notes" screen, there is no insert cursor visible -- either when typing or when trying to move the insert location with the magnifier. I am guessing where I will be typing.
3) and while discussing the notes page -- why is the text entry area smaller than the space available above the onscreen keyboard? There are big grey areas above and below the text entry area, so I am scrolling all the time. Let me use all the screen area!
4) and if I do have a lot of text, where are the scroll bars for the notes area?
5) why not give the option to hide the keyboard and see the whole notes (yes, this is not a bug, it is a feature request)
6) finally, why are the little check marks that indicate a row is selected (like in Tags) now green? They are harder to see. Just make them black again, so I can easily see them.

I like Gas Cubby and have been using it for years now. I want to keep liking it (or I would not take the time to write this). I put up with problems 3&4 in the old versions. To get a new version that still has these issues, and a bunch more when simply entering my first fill up after the v2.7 upgrade, is disappointing.

Can these things be fixed?

MyFocusST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Registered Member

I do realize that these UI issues are not near as important as data loss problems, but do others notice these things?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, you are right, these issues do exist. But as there is a completely new version coming, I am no sure there is a point in fixing these interface glitches.
ababak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

I notice the points MyFocusST highlighted, but I don't see them as issues. I certainly see why MyFocusST may prefer the changes he suggests, but the usability of the app has not degraded, in my opinion. I'm not trying to take away from MyFocusST's point or purpose, I just don't see them as a problem. For example, I like the change he lists as problem 1. I found it a welcomed change for a different look. But if it were to be changed, I don't think I would complain.
LokiWRXYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

I understand not wanting to spend the time fixing these things in the current version if a new version is about to be released. But when if the new version due? Is there a target date?
Old 10-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiWRXYZF View Post
I notice the points MyFocusST highlighted, but I don't see them as issues. I certainly see why MyFocusST may prefer the changes he suggests, but the usability of the app has not degraded, in my opinion. I'm not trying to take away from MyFocusST's point or purpose, I just don't see them as a problem. For example, I like the change he lists as problem 1. I found it a welcomed change for a different look. But if it were to be changed, I don't think I would complain.
I'd suggest that the fact you can no longer see the cursor in the note screen IS a problem. When I go to insert something, I am guessing where the new text will appear. As for problem 1, I am glad you like the change to a different look. I understand completely the fun that comes from UI tweaks. But what if the change made the item you are entering the easy to read Black text on White background, while the other items where the new White text on Light Grey? Then you could have the new look, and the entry line would be the most visible (having the most contrast). Just a thought...
Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFocusST View Post
I'd suggest that the fact you can no longer see the cursor in the note screen IS a problem. When I go to insert something, I am guessing where the new text will appear.
I agree with you on this point. That is certainly a problem. I overlooked it as I don't use that field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFocusST View Post
As for problem 1, I am glad you like the change to a different look. I understand completely the fun that comes from UI tweaks. But what if the change made the item you are entering the easy to read Black text on White background, while the other items where the new White text on Light Grey? Then you could have the new look, and the entry line would be the most visible (having the most contrast). Just a thought...
You have a good idea with this. Again, I appreciate it as it currently is, as I don't find it difficult to read/see (and I have bad eyes). I'm not saying that it can't or shouldn't change, it's just my opinion that it doesn't HAVE to change.
LokiWRXYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

These suggestions are being noted.
While I cant promise they'll be tweaked on the next update, I know there will be quite a few changes for v3.0 of Gas Cubby.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

Is there a target date for v3?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #10
Registered Member

Beta testing should be right around the corner.

I'll check on a target date however this week.

RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas cubby