Why is the iOS app so different (and better)? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Why is the iOS app so different (and better)?

I have two phones, my S8 and my work iPhone 6S. I have the Fuelly app on both (Android v 2.0.1, iOS c 3.3.1, both updated). The iOS app has a nice information page for each vehicle that I can review for multiple things, just like the web page. But the Android app only allows me to add a fuel-up. There is no dashboard that displays my current MPG and past fuelups. Am I missing a setting somewhere, or are the two apps that drastically different?

atc98092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

There is a lot still lacking in the Android app. Most frustrating is how slow the development is. There are some threads discussing issues that have not changed in months or years. I am just glad the Android app got as far as it did before it came to a screeching halt in 2016-17. This link kind of summarizes the situation.

Will_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

The Fuelly app description on the android play store states:

Quote:
This is a quick and easy launcher for the m.fuelly.com mobile-optimized site. This launcher opens m.fuelly.com in a native app interface allowing for faster fuelup logging. This is not a full featured native fuelly app and is focused instead purely on rapid fuel logging on-the-go (a connection is required as this simply calls the mobile optimized input site at m.fuelly.com).

Keypad missing decimal point? Here is the fix: Fuelly Mobile Lack of Decimal Fix - Fuelly Forums

If you encounter issues with this app, please contact us via the Fuelly forums or at support@fuelly.com
emphaisis added.

The full fledged app that integrates with fuelly.com for android is aCar.

Someone from this site would need to answer whether it is possible to use aCar on Android and the fuelly app on IOS and have the info sync properly.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

I am not sure what if any difference there is between what people refer to as the Fuelly app for Android and aCar? My frustration is with the slow pace, or no pace, of development of aCar.

It may say what you quote in the Play Store but that is probably sort of a CYA kind of statement because the developers know that the initial flurry of activity that happened after Fuelly took over aCar in early 2014 did not continue. Through 2015 and early 2016 development did progress a bit, then it really started to drag. In 2017 a beta testing section eventually culminated in a release. But this was mostly a process that just fixed real bugs, but did not develop the app to have many of the features Fuelly has. Most of the suggestion, requests, etc. that we wanted to make aCar work well did not happen. If you read some of the old threads, you can see that some fixes and changes that were promised in 2015 and 2016 never came to be. In the past 6 to 8 months it seems nothing at all has been done with aCar. Yes the Play Store description may accurately describe the shortcomings of the Android app. But that does not make it any better for us users that do not use Apple. I know that sounds like a hollow complaint given how much better in general us Android users have it overall vs. Apple. But in the Fuelly situation, Apple users have us Android users crying in the corner. There are not any Android apps that do what the iOS Fuelly app can and we really want the developers to get back to fleshing out aCar so we can have the app we have been teased about for the past 3 years.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. It does seem odd that Fuelly doesn't seem to want equivalent apps for both OSs. I bought the S8 because I had to turn in my work phone and be issued a new one after I reported to a new work location. I didn't want to be without a phone for the week that would take, and my Windows phone was no longer reliable. Since I still carry my work phone, the S8 just sits on the desk for now. So I can at least use the iOS app until I have to turn this phone back in. Hopefully, that won't be for a few years, so they have some time to get the Android app updated.
atc98092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

The opening poster was obviously using the fuelly web app (last updated in 2014) not aCar. It's not a reasonable comparison to compare an app that no longer updated (fuelly web app) to the iOS app (updated in March, 2018).

It would interesting for someone who has used both aCar (latest version) and the iOS Fuelly app to list the differences for those of us who have never used an iPhone. Android only users don't know what we are missing (if we are).

I have been using aCar since it was first released. The only thing that I like about fuelly.com's involvement with aCar is the ability to sync across multiple devices.

fuelly.com's android apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lly,+LLC&hl=en
Old 04-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

Everything I wrote above is about aCar so that may answer some of your questions. Look at the link in the post also and look through some of the other things theads here about aCar. Basically no further development appears to be going on. Threads with questions about features and development go unanswered. The Android app has many shortcomings compared to iOS app and many of those have been asked about for a year or two.