Feature Request: Please let me choose travel units (miles or km). - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > iOS | Fuelly Mobile
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Feature Request: Please let me choose travel units (miles or km).

I live in the US but vehicle is from Canada and has metric odometer. I purchase fuel in US Gallons.

That means that whenever I add an entry for that vehicle I must first convert KM to miles, an extra minute or so that seems so unnecessary and is clunky on the phone.

Please could you add an option to the app to let me select the units as part of the form entry?

Seems like there are other cases where unit selection would be nice:
- Classic cars in Europe might buy gas in liters but have mile odometers.
- Some people might still be buying gas using imperial gallons? Liters?
- Perhaps boat owners would like to enter Nautical Miles?

Thanks!

zakthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

Another request: Please bring back the "Notes" field! I used it every fill-up to record the brand of diesel to determine which brands offer the best economy. It really matters.

QUIKDZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

I too put the brand in the Notes field. In conjunction with another thread discussing GPS location, a great feature (you decide the implementation details) would be to record where the gas was purchased (brand, location).
looking4OPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakthor View Post
I live in the US but vehicle is from Canada and has metric odometer. I purchase fuel in US Gallons.

That means that whenever I add an entry for that vehicle I must first convert KM to miles, an extra minute or so that seems so unnecessary and is clunky on the phone.

Please could you add an option to the app to let me select the units as part of the form entry?

Seems like there are other cases where unit selection would be nice:
- Classic cars in Europe might buy gas in liters but have mile odometers.
- Some people might still be buying gas using imperial gallons? Liters?
- Perhaps boat owners would like to enter Nautical Miles?

Thanks!
Currently from either the Web or GasTracker, you can edit the Vehicle and select the individual Tracking Units (whether Distance- Miles/Km or Fuel- Gallons/Liters). This is set on an individual vehicle basis and wont affect your other vehicles in your garage.
As for boat owners, it is something we've talked about and may support in the future, but no estimated timeline to report at this time if/when it will be available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIKDZL View Post
Another request: Please bring back the "Notes" field! I used it every fill-up to record the brand of diesel to determine which brands offer the best economy. It really matters.
Sorry about that! We've restored the Notes field and the update will be submitted later today for approval by Apple.
FYI- we'll be adding a separate field for Octane and Fuel type in a future update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4OPH View Post
I too put the brand in the Notes field. In conjunction with another thread discussing GPS location, a great feature (you decide the implementation details) would be to record where the gas was purchased (brand, location).
There is a Location field for you to use (if you grant GasTracker that access). I believe the current version there was a bug, but it has been addressed and will be fixed in the update we're submitting today.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Mm...on the iPhone app although editing the car allows you to select litres and miles, when trying to add a fuel up it asks for gallons.

Also the fuel price is shown in $

BTW, most UK drivers will buy their fuel in litres but measure their distance in miles.
KeithRWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRWB View Post
Mm...on the iPhone app although editing the car allows you to select litres and miles, when trying to add a fuel up it asks for gallons.

Also the fuel price is shown in $

BTW, most UK drivers will buy their fuel in litres but measure their distance in miles.
This has been fixed in the update we've already submitted to Apple. Currently waiting on it to be approved.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

I've noted before that editing a vehicle is not a good work around for this issue. If you edit a vehicle and change units, fuelly permanently converts the data with relative inacurracy (not enough decimals places). You can verify this by converting units and converting back and notice that much of your data has changed - permanently. This inaccuracy is disappointing and prevents me from using this work around.
BartmanEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartmanEH View Post
If you edit a vehicle and change units, fuelly permanently converts the data with relative inacurracy (not enough decimals places). You can verify this by converting units and converting back and notice that much of your data has changed - permanently. This inaccuracy is disappointing and prevents me from using this work around.
Now you know why I keep an Excel spreadsheet where "I" determine the actual conversion.

These on-line fuel logs are only for my amusement.
RunningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartmanEH View Post
I've noted before that editing a vehicle is not a good work around for this issue. If you edit a vehicle and change units, fuelly permanently converts the data with relative inacurracy (not enough decimals places). You can verify this by converting units and converting back and notice that much of your data has changed - permanently. This inaccuracy is disappointing and prevents me from using this work around.
Can you expand on your specific issue/concern? I'm not sure how it matches with what was being discussed earlier in this thread.

Tags
feature request, units, user interface