'04 Tsx - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-22-2008, 04:53 AM   #1

'04 Tsx

Hey guys. A few months ago I traded a V6 Oldsmobile Alero with horrible gas mileage (about 22mpg combined) for an '04 Acura TSX. I wanted something fun to drive, but it needed to get good gas mileage. I have always heard that Honda products get great gas mileage, so I decided to get one.

The revised EPA ratings are 20/29/23 for the 5AT. My commute is about 60% hwy and 40% city (not stop and go). I started off getting almost 26mpg and was a little dissapointed, but then I started researching practical ways to get better mileage. I started by trying to keep the RPMs under 2500 around town and keeping my highway speed under 70mph. This gave me a slight increase. Next, I decided to limit my highway speed to 60-65mph and I started leaving work at 5:30 instead of 5:00 so I would spend less time in traffic. Also, I started using an alternate route to and from work that avoided congestion in the busier parts of town. I averaged about 28mpg doing that. I was very impressed, because I didn't have to mod the car or do anything dangerous. Knowing that I could get better mileage, I decided to see what kind of mileage I could really get. There is a road called the Natchez Trace Parkway that connects Natchez, MS (southwest MS) to Nashville, TN. The speed limit is 50mph and I figured it was the best road to test the upper limits of my car's mileage. There is very minimal traffic and the road is very flat. I set my cruise control on 50 and that was it. I filled up my car before I left and then stopped at the same station (even used the same pump) when I got back. I got almost 43mpg. I was not expecting that at all.

I don't plan to do any mods. I think changing the way I drive has been effective enough. I want to try getting 45mpg, but this time I will make sure to check my tire inflation. I will let you know how that goes.

bggriffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #2

AWESOME. Vehicle you like, significant improvement in mileage, newish vehicle so that you have something you will have around for a long while, just great all around. Real-world practicality.

Put it in the garage so we can see what kind of FE you're getting!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome!!! And Wow! Getting 40mpg for a TSX is awsome. I use to drive an 07' SI sedan as my work commuter (90% hwy) and cruising at 65mph all week only got me to 33-34mpg. I do have an alternative route where the speed limit is 55mph, but it goes through 3-small towns. Maybe when it warms up here I'll try that route. I drive an 07' Honda Fit now, but it's the base model (no cruise). Nice to have you on board.
204snic is offline   Reply With Quote