72 mpg in my Honda Civic - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
When you're in gear with no throttle above 900 RPM you are using NO fuel. You're calling it a waste of fuel.

"Part of the time" is meaningless. If you have a mpg gauge, you'll see that you get infinite mpg every time you let off the gas, and less than 9 mpg every time you accelerate from a stop. MPG only makes sense as an average.

I've had too many instances when I seemed to have got exceptional FE on a particular tank, only to find out that the next tank was exceptionally bad. It's a measuring error that has to do with how fuel tanks are constructed.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
My 94 VX has AC fortunately with temps here hitting 100 on several days in the last month.

Best tank for me is 68.5. I think todays 10% alcohol fuel (only fuel available in eastern Virginia) hurts my mileage considerably.
Well you can try my "ethanol patch" if you like, methanol with a dash of ashless TC-W3 outboard oil, 8oz Methanol and 1/2 oz TC-W3 would probably be about right in your tank. that's about 70 cents a fill up with methanol gettable at about $2 a quart and $5 for a quart of ashless TC-W3 outboard oil. Should give you another 5%+ if my results are anything to go by. That might give you more regular 65s and show you 70 more often.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

LOL, that sounds like Amway... Is that an Amway product?

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #14
Registered Member

I got 72 from Portland to Seattle in my VX last summer. Lower 70s are pretty average for me on that trip. 63 is impressive but lose the Amsoil and maybe you'll break 70 Save a few bucks too
VXRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 AM   #15

Please don't call people "Amsoil trolls" when they aren't posting links to where you can buy directly from them.

Amsoil has plenty of solid testing evidence for increasing mileage and protecting engines. I can tell you from personal experience I've seen incredible gains that people tell me cannot happen for any reason.

36 MPG highway in a 1998 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4 cylinder, for instance, and 26 is EPA sticker. Granted, it was no A/C, tailgate down, 55 MPH, between the Canadian border and Los Angeles (almost all very flat), but still, I did the same things - neutral downhill (and that can be 5-10 minutes at a time, in excess of 70 MPH downhill) whenever possible, on a route I am totally familiar with, and easy on the uphills. It helps to have a rock-steady foot, and listening to the engine not to give it too much gas up hills, but it can indeed happen.

As for wear - try 35,000 miles between oil changes with Amsoil. That's my average, and on my current CRX I plan on installing the remote filter. A hefty investment, but the oil gets "gradually" changed - remove one of two 1-quart filters, and add a quart when you change it. I know a guy personally who has gone over a million miles on his Jeep and never had the engine rebuilt, using Amsoil.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

Another one I don't see anyone talking about here is Slick 50. Maybe there's better stuff out there now, but in the early 90's I was a poor college student. The oil pump was shot on the Buick, the bearings were shot, and the oil pressure light came on when traveling under 20 mph. I poured a bottle of Slick 50 into the crankcase and drove it with the oil pressure light on for a couple of years until I could afford a new engine.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
Please don't call people "Amsoil trolls" when they aren't posting links to where you can buy directly from them.
mini-e didn't declare Talos4 an "Amsoil troll", just asked if he was (immediately followed by far more words about taking him seriously). A troll doesn't need a link and isn't trying to sell anything. All a troll needs is a well-planted seed of controversy. Showing up somewhere to post difficult-to-believe results while offering little explanation apart from a small mention of something controversial would be a very effective troll.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Another one I don't see anyone talking about here is Slick 50.
LOL, when Slick 50 first came out I was probably ~14 years old, obsessed with NASCAR (that was the good NASCAR before it sold out) and those Slick 50 ads really had me sold. I never did end up buying any.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
So, uhh... which Amsoil should I buy? Can you give a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post

Amsoil has plenty of solid testing evidence for increasing mileage and protecting engines. I can tell you from personal experience I've seen incredible gains that people tell me cannot happen for any reason.

36 MPG highway in a 1998 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4 cylinder, for instance, and 26 is EPA sticker. Granted, it was no A/C, tailgate down, 55 MPH, between the Canadian border and Los Angeles (almost all very flat), but still, I did the same things - neutral downhill (and that can be 5-10 minutes at a time, in excess of 70 MPH downhill) whenever possible, on a route I am totally familiar with, and easy on the uphills. It helps to have a rock-steady foot, and listening to the engine not to give it too much gas up hills, but it can indeed happen.

As for wear - try 35,000 miles between oil changes with Amsoil. That's my average, and on my current CRX I plan on installing the remote filter. A hefty investment, but the oil gets "gradually" changed - remove one of two 1-quart filters, and add a quart when you change it. I know a guy personally who has gone over a million miles on his Jeep and never had the engine rebuilt, using Amsoil.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
My 94 VX has AC fortunately with temps here hitting 100 on several days in the last month.

Best tank for me is 68.5. I think todays 10% alcohol fuel (only fuel available in eastern Virginia) hurts my mileage considerably.

I think it is possible to get that kind of MPG under certain conditions.

Welcome to the boards Talos 4.

regards
gary
Please look at my gas log (EOC vs idling in neutral does not save THAT much gas in a car with 500rpm idle)

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote