72 mpg in my Honda Civic - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Smile 72 mpg in my Honda Civic

Hello everyone. I just wanted to join into this community of car loving, High MPG loving people who want and need to know that getting high MPG with their cars is not hard to do.
I had a 5 speed manual 1993 Honda Civic that I drove from Portland, Oregon down to Southern California and back on only 33 gallons of gasoline!
That's right- only 33 gallons, and I did it with no special modifications made to my car at all. I went 2100 miles on only 33 gallons, and it was not hard to do at all. In fact, the way I did it were ways I found out myself many years ago.
All I had to do was to coast going downhill, and never went full speed going up hills. I used Amsoil synthetic oil for the transmission and crankcase, along with using good sparkplugs.
The truth is, good MPG CAN be done with any car, if you drive the right way.
Even with my newer 2003 Honda Civic 4 speed Automatic, I still can get up to 48 mpg with using these ideas that I have been using for almost 15 years now.
I never use the Air Conditioning unit, never roll my windows down when I drive, and never speed on the highways. People think I drive too slow-especially on the highways, but who cares?
I am saving boatloads of cash wherever I go, and that is just fine with me.

Talos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Is this an Amsoil troll? This forum gets lots of trolls. I am never going to buy Amsoil just because of how many times the people who sell the stuff troll. Mayby this is a real person, if so , Hello!!! and damn, don't you get hot in there? the central valley of cali gets solidly over 100 for 2-3 months, you could die without air con or opening a window. I personally, and i do not mean to be pushy here, but i would personally rather be alive than get anoyther 1-3 MPG.

mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That is rather unbelievable. A few people are getting those numbers out of Civics from that era, but with far more effort than you describe.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Coasting? That's the big secret? So you're saying that everybody else stays on the gas when they're going downhill...

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

Welcome Talos4!

BTW, 2100 miles with 33 gallons is 63 mpg, not 72.
Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrggeek View Post
Welcome Talos4!

BTW, 2100 miles with 33 gallons is 63 mpg, not 72.
lol

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Registered Member

I believe one of the car mags tested the first year CRX HF and got 73 MPG.

regards
gary
Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-e View Post
Is this an Amsoil troll?
Can Amsoil be bought publicly or are they doing the whole Multiple Level Marketing deal? That reminds me of when I was 17 (back in 1999) and my friend's dad talked me and all my other friends into buying Amsoil from him. "Why would you want to put anything other than synthetic in your 1983 Nissan Pulsar?" That was his gig. On top of this he tried to recruit us into selling it to all our classmates who where just getting their licenses.

On top of this I can't believe he talked me into buying 3 cans of their WD-40 equivalent too. I'm not trying to say that Amsoil is crap... but I just personally hate the Multiple Level Marketing style.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

A few points to clarify...

First, let me say "Mini e" that I am NOT an "Amsoil Troll" as has been suggested by you. I do not sell Amsoil, and never will.
That being said- yes, I do use it and highly recommend it to everyone for the simple fact that it is the best synthetic oil on the market- period. I have used it for decades, and it more than pays for itself. It saves me money, and I think everyone should use it to save themselves money. That is the goal of people here on this board, isn't it? To try to save money?
Using it in the engine and transmission has saved me probably close to a thousand dollars in the last 18 years or so. Yes, it is worth it to use it, imo.
I don't sell it, but that doesn't mean that I don't think highly of it.

Second, the MPG I saw when I went on a trip to So-Cal and back was on parts of the trip at 72 mpg. There were parts of the trip where the MPG went down due to the numerous hills that I had to climb near the Yosemite area of central California, but in large part, I got around 72 for most of the trip.
The '93 Civic VX I drove only had a 10 gallon tank, and I went almost 700 miles on less than 10 gallons.
FYI- That car did not come with AC, so I had to make do with the hot So-Cal weather without AC to cool me down. It was uncomfortable, but I survived the extreme heat just fine.

Third, coasting means just that- coasting. I took the car out of gear going downhill, which is not something that many people do. To keep it in gear going downhill just wastes a lot of gas needlessly, imo.
People also speed uphill all the time, which wastes a great deal of gas, so the opposite-coasting downhill, saves gas- a lot of it, when you take it out of gear. The great thing about Hondas, is that you can still do this safely even with a 4 speed Automatic, which I own now. I can still coast downhill with my AT in neutral, and that saves me gas and money.
Until recently, Honda had the fantastic VTEC-E engine in a few of their models- one was used in the Civic VX and HX models. Both got great gas mileage, and I owned both of them.
It is truly a shame that Honda decided rather stupidly to abandon this superb engine, and replace it with a far more expensive Hybrid model which doesn't get nearly the great MPG that their VX model got.
Spending an extra $7,000 dollars to save $10 dollars a month doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Talos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

My 94 VX has AC fortunately with temps here hitting 100 on several days in the last month.

Best tank for me is 68.5. I think todays 10% alcohol fuel (only fuel available in eastern Virginia) hurts my mileage considerably.

I think it is possible to get that kind of MPG under certain conditions.

Welcome to the boards Talos 4.

regards
gary