Acura Integra Owner Wants Better MPG - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

I will be. I just started keeping track with the last tank I got, and I'm only half way through it now. I fully intend to keep track of each tank.

I see you're looking for a CRX... me too.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidhooligan View Post
Just a little update, I'm at half a tank, according to the gas gauge in my Integra and the trip meter is at 172.6 miles. The tank holds 13.2 gallons, so half is approximately 6.6 gallons.

172.6miles/6.6gallons=26.15mpg

This is just an estimate, of course, since I can't tell exactly how many gallons I've used until I fill up again but 26.15mpg is better than the revised highway EPA estimate and I have a 2.0L engine, rather than the stock 1.8L.

I'm pretty happy with this result but I'm by no means satisfied. I know I'm not doing everything I can do to conserve gas. Ultimately, I'd like to get 32mpg per tank.

I've found the biggest change for me is not actually changing the way I drive but changing the way I think. Thinking about driving efficiently, accelerating slowly, driving the speed limit... these things have sort of calmed down the way I drive. I'm not driving nearly as aggressively now that I'm concentrating on saving gas and I find myself less likely to engage in the "road-ragey" behavior I was more prone to in the past when I was zipping around like Speed Racer.
I think this may be one of the greatest benefits to changing my driving habits to save gas. To not be in a rush and be mellow is a wonderful thing. Although I sometimes get annoyed when someone is too slow to accelerate from a light I've timed, and then have to break. :P But there's much less tendency towards road rage and impatience.

One thing you can do if you drive on the highway is follow trailer tucks 125 feet back or three stripes on the roadway-- I believe it was R.I.D.E. that told me about that method of measuring 125 feet (each stripe is approx 43 feet) Click on "stripes" in my signature.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Click on "stripes" in my signature.
Hmm... that's interesting. I'll have to try that the next time I'm on the highway. I drive a small stretch of "highway" out to work but there are so many people getting on and off that drafting isn't really possible but on the main interstate I might try this.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

Most efficient acceleration 1500 to 2000 at 70% wide open throttle.

Coast as much as possible (engine on or off) with engine idling and vehicle going 50 mph you are getting close to 200 mpg, with engine off you are getting infinite mpg.

Downshift instead of using brakes use highest gear including 5th with foot off the gas to actuate fuel shutoff (no fuel consumed).

Drive as if your brake master cylinder had lost pressure and you had only your emergency brake (after all it could happen any time).

Try to time the lights in you normal routes, when you get good at it you will see the stupidity in other drivers that race to a red light and force you to have to slow down or stop, when you could have coasted through the light with perfect timing.

Choose the path less taken. In many places there are roads that are generally avoided by many who think they take too long. Where I live there is a road that runs parallel with the interstate for an 8 mile stretch with the speed limit 55 for half and 45 for half. I can't tell you how many times I have been putting down that road pulse and gliding at over 60 mpg, laughing at the traffic on the interstate that is completely stopped with no exit for 4 miles.

If you live in an area with hills try to accelerate uphill and coast downhill while maintaining a relatively constant speed.

If you are forced to drive a route where there are only two lanes and a lot of people pulling out on the road, its really tough to find a good compromise, too far behind the car in front of you and everyone pulls out in front of you, too close and you are constantly braking when the vehicle in front of you does the same. You best choice is to use your own judgement and develop a position that you prefer as far as a balance between courtesy and efficiency.

regards
gary
Old 05-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Just want to make sure you know how to calculate mileage. You don't need to know the max capacity of the tank and you don't need to empty the tank either.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Registered Member

Yeah, just how many miles I travel on how much gas. I'll know exactly how many MPG I get when I fill up next.

Divide the number of miles driven by the amount of gas I buy at my next purchase to fill up the tank and viola! MPG.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #17
Registered Member

Finally got to put an entry in my gaslog. Woo-hoo!

Fuel Purchase 5/2/08
Fuel Purchased: 10.106 gallons
Fuel PPG (price per gallon): $3.549
Total Fuel Cost: $35.87
Current Mileage: 126,248.1

Fuel Purchase 5/16/08
Fuel Purchased: 9.824 gallons
Fuel PPG: $3.759
Total Fuel Cost: $36.93
Current Mileage: 126,544.9
Trip: 296.8

MPG: 30.21
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidhooligan View Post
I drive a 1990 Acura Integra GS with a B20B 2.0L high compression Japanese domestic market CR-V engine in it.

Here is some information about my car:
Current Mileage: 127,248 and halfway between 1-2/10ths*
Original estimated EPA Fuel Mileage for 1990 Acura Integra GS (5-speed)** 24/28/25 mpg (City/Highway/Combined)
Revised estimated EPA Fuel Mileage for 1990 Acura Integra GS (5-speed)** 21/26/23 (City/Highway/Combined)
Fuel Capacity: 13.2 gallons
Did you know that our driving style has a big impact on fuel economy? And by changing the way we drive improves fuel economy by 37%. Do some hypermiling techniques.

petty is offline   Reply With Quote