Alow myself to introduce... myself. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Alow myself to introduce... myself.

Sorry about the title - first thing that came to mind - a terrible movie quote (and I'm not a big movie quote type person :P).

I'm a mech. engineering student and own a 2000 Jetta gasser - 2 liter. I'm also involved with a team to build a competitive HPV (we're in the midst of fairing construction).

In a couple months I'll be doing a cross country from Orlando to San Francisco (and back at the end of summer) - so my goal is to hash out as many non-permanent (as in, no holes) aero modifications as possible. At the very least - wheel fairings on all wheels and a patchwork underbelly. Optimally adding a boat tail. Of course, the challenge is - no holes in the bodywork. So coming up with suitable and safe fasteners is current task.

I also might have a solution for those concerned about heat with full belly pans - more on that a bit later

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Welcome! Hope you find this place a wealth of information and friendliness!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Smile Welcome

Welcome to GS!

(I understand it probably wasn't intended, but the subject line is, nevertheless, pretty funny)

If you'd like, tell us more about the HPV (and add your Jetta to "Garage"). Both sound interesting.

Feel free to browse around (especially the stickies in the General FE Discussion area) for common topics.

Also, never hesistate to ask questions or offer suggestions. Enjoy!

RH77
Old 03-29-2007, 04:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi Trebuchet - welcome to the site.

Where else on the web might I have seen the vid for your team's fairing construction? Before you posted here, I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere else... Makezine Blog? Hmmm..

As for fasteners for aero stuff - duct tape is your friend! (Though probably not for the underbody). Also dzus fasteners is a name I've read several times.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Welcome!

Time is on my side. Yes it is...
davidjh72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
<snip> non-permanent (as in, no holes) aero modifications as possible.
Not sure what the Jetta is like, but my Element has dozens of holes all over the underside already. I am still trying to figure out exactly what kind of fastener to use, but the nylon nuts and trim fasteners at this site look like a good start.
http://www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/...age/584919.htm
I need to find a place that sells these locally so I can go in and look and touch and measure. For some simple trim fasteners, you can try Lowe's or Home Depot. I got the fasteners for my air dam mod at Lowe's.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #7
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Welcome!!!

Quote:
In a couple months I'll be doing a cross country from Orlando to San Francisco (and back at the end of summer) - so my goal is to hash out as many non-permanent (as in, no holes) aero modifications as possible. At the very least - wheel fairings on all wheels and a patchwork underbelly. Optimally adding a boat tail. Of course, the challenge is - no holes in the bodywork. So coming up with suitable and safe fasteners is current task.
By taping up holes in the nose and sealing the hood with foam tape my '94 Jetta it can get 38mpg at 70mph with no other tricks.

Quote:
I also might have a solution for those concerned about heat with full belly pans - more on that a bit later
Do tell. The above mentioned Jetta will get a pan this summer.....

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Supporting Member

Welcome trebuchet03 -

I will be very interested in your "no holes" barred aero solutions because I believe in reversible mods.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
Driving on E

HPV? Aren't they vaccinating for that nowadays?

bad joke, I know.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Hi Trebuchet - welcome to the site.

Where else on the web might I have seen the vid for your team's fairing construction? Before you posted here, I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere else... Makezine Blog? Hmmm..

As for fasteners for aero stuff - duct tape is your friend! (Though probably not for the under body). Also Dzus fasteners is a name I've read several times.
Yep, the Make: Blog picked it up - it's being documented on instructables. I have the next phase finished (making the tool), except the google video uploader kinda crapped out on me (and the video is 200+megs).

And Dzus fasteners are great! Funny, we actually use flush mount Dzus fasteners on our HPV (to remove the fairing quickly if needed).

Quote:
I need to find a place that sells these locally so I can go in and look and touch and measure. For some simple trim fasteners, you can try Lowe's or Home Depot. I got the fasteners for my air dam mod at Lowe's.
Thanks for the link - I'll dig around there and see what I can come up with :P I actually had a dream last night of a cheap spring snap type method. I just need to find a material that has the right stiffness (I think perhaps the material used for flashing will work). I'll let you know when I eventually get to experimenting with it.

I was also thinking of some sort of non permanent/encapsulated adhesive. Something like those dent remove systems. The major concern would be clear coat reactiveness and peeling upon removal. Or even "staining" from lack of UV wear (compared to the rest of the body). Just tossing around ideas.

Quote:
I will be very interested in your "no holes" barred aero solutions because I believe in reversible mods.
It's quite a hefty design constraint :P

Quote:
HPV? Aren't they vaccinating for that nowadays?
To be honest, I personally feel it's the first major vaccination to hit the market since the polio vaccination. It still doesn't change my opinion on the business of pharmaceuticals - the money and customer base is in treatment - not cures :/ Sorry :P But yes, we've gotten that joke a lot. For awhile we were considering T-shirts that said "I got HPV at [university name]"

Quote:
Do tell. The above mentioned Jetta will get a pan this summer.....
I'm waiting until I can get to editing the video on how to make the mold shape But in it's likely, you've heard of this or at least seen it on another vehicle. But application is key.

Thanks for the great response

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote