another new guy - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

another new guy

Hi to all, I love reading your posts. I have a 99 saturn SL. The Saturn was getting 28 miles per gallon with the a/c on and 35 without it using cruise. But with doing stuff like you guys are doing I have been getting 31/ 32 with the a/c on doing the speed limit at 65mph. The best yet was about a month ago with no a/c I got 39.7mpg or so just about 40 without the a/c and driving at 65 mph. I love it. a two to five mpg increase by changing my driving style. My commute is 120 miles round trip three day's a week so my averages have been based off the same drive week in week out with very little variation. My new favorite kind of car is a prius. I want that 109 mpg I read about somewhere here or there in the last month or so. The saturn is paid for and running better then any car I have ever owned so can't part with her yet, I don't want a payment either!

jbrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Supporting Member

jbrando -

Welcome to GS! Is that a manual or automatic?

Cut your teeth on the Saturn for now, and get the Prius later on when you're an expert and have some extra dough in your pocket.

Your commute may be tough, but it sounds perfect for "FE testing". Only 3 days a week takes the edge off, I think. Does your commute have hills? Does it have bad traffic that slows you down?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrando View Post
Hi to all, I love reading your posts. I have a 99 saturn SL. The Saturn was getting 28 miles per gallon with the a/c on and 35 without it using cruise. But with doing stuff like you guys are doing I have been getting 31/ 32 with the a/c on doing the speed limit at 65mph. The best yet was about a month ago with no a/c I got 39.7mpg or so just about 40 without the a/c and driving at 65 mph. I love it. a two to five mpg increase by changing my driving style. My commute is 120 miles round trip three day's a week so my averages have been based off the same drive week in week out with very little variation. My new favorite kind of car is a prius. I want that 109 mpg I read about somewhere here or there in the last month or so. The saturn is paid for and running better then any car I have ever owned so can't part with her yet, I don't want a payment either!

jbrando, you might not be as enthused with the 17 mph average speed required during the 109 mpg marathon.

Good job with the Saturn.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Supporting Member

There is something addictive to the rolling though. I got out the car at the grocery store the other day and I felt like I was still rolling... you know that feeling. The whole hyper-miling experience is just as good as speeding to me, and much less dangerous. Welcome Brando!

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks guys. nice to be here. I have been having more fun doing the speed limit than should be allowed. I gotta give my old grandpa an apology for all those years I was telling him he otta get off the road if he couldn't keep up with traffic. I am ashamed! Anyway my car is a stick shift five speed and I have been doing a little of the engine off pulse and glide, popping the clutch to get going, shutting it off and coasting to stop's, and sitting there with the a/c off here in CA lately, that's commitment. I have a mountain stretch in my commute 8 miles and it is roughly half way to the exact top so I am getting a really good coast in my average that is boosting my numbers I get a five mile coast out of the mountain times that both way for my three drives in the week it is substantial. I don't know your name now but you replied her and your averages for your ford car is incredible, and the record of the millage increase as you have increased your cars potential is astonishing. Thanks again guy's for coming here and teaching the rest of us. If I screamed and honked my horn at you in the past my apologies.
jbrando is offline   Reply With Quote