Bummed in Arizona - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Bummed in Arizona

Hello,
I am new to the group. I own a 95 VX that is white, and has 241,000 miles on it. I recently started looking for a VX for my wife to drive as well. Wouldn't you know that a green, 1 owner, 95 VX came up for sale locally here for $4250.00 and we missed it by one day. I was really bummed about that because the owner was very particular and it was very clean. The car only had 119,000 miles on it. He let us inspect and drive the car as he only had a deposit on it. He told us if the buyer didn't come thru he would give us first chance at it. Unfortunately for us, the buyer did come through. I am really bummed because I am not holding much hope that I can A) find my wife a nice ride for $4500.00 or under that is reliable and fuel efficient, and B) that my VX will keep on going all that much longer. I do my maintance regularly but 241,000 seems like an aweful lot of miles. I am the original owner on my car though so, I know I have taken good care of it.

any suggestions or feedback on a car to get for my wife, or on the miles on my VX. My wife actually would prefer a Hatchback, or wagaon, or a 4 door but, not something too small, I think a 4 door civic or corolla would be about the smallest car she could deal with.
Thanks,
Steve

95 VX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

I really fail to understand why people pay that much money for that old of a car. You would be much better off getting a TDI. At 200k, your VW TDI would just be getting over the hill. Sure diesel is a bit more expensive, but the many benefits outweigh that one drawback.

Then again, if you are a longtime VX fan then maybe there is something that you know about them that I don't.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Theres a red VX for sale up here in Utah for $3500. I'm not sure how far away you are but if you are really determined to get a particular vehicle, you better be willing to travel quite a long distance to get it. That's how I got my VX.

Two other cars that I'm in the market for are a 4WD Civic wagon and an Integra GSR. To get either would require that I fly out there and drive home 7-10 hours.

VX engines run in the $500 range. Shipping can be between $100-500 if you're not able to pick it up in person. It's quite easy to drop one in.

I personally don't feel that the difference in fuel economy between a DX and a VX justifies the price difference that people are asking. Seems like most people are hung up on the VX as a sort of status symbol in our small clique.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hello,
Thank you all for the responses. That red VX in Utah seems intriguing but unfortunately, she is not fond of red cars at all. I don't really noticing the VX's bringing much more out here in Arizona than the other hatchbacks. Seems like any clean hatchback regardless of model, bottoms out here at about $3500.

Erdrick,
Thanks for the info. I had searched for some used TDI's but, I was always a bit affraid because I always had heard very bad things about VW quality issues. So, when I saw that the only ones I could afford would have very high miles, I didn't research further. I believe my wife would really like a Jetta but, I am affraid that they aren't as reliable. Have you heard of many problems? What seems to be the best years for the TDI's (Used)?
Thanks,
95 VX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote