Check-engine on now - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Check-engine on now

hello,

First post here, but I've been using a fuel-efficient driving style for many years.

Here's my question: my check-engine light just came on yesterday and I was wondering if this is a good time for me to buy a ScanGauge? What are the chances it will save me some money just to see why my check-engine light is on?

Last time the light came on it was an air-sensor that needed to be replaced for about $400.

Thanks.

1999 Camry 4-cylinder auto

vectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Registered Member

Many auto parts stores (Autozone, Advance etc) will read the code and reset the light for free

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

I would recommend getting the scangauge anyway. You can check this code, and any after this. And, you get the benefit of feedback on your driving techniques, as related to gas mileage. Win, win, win.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Don't buy the ScanGauge for the code; you can get scanners a lot cheaper ($40 at Harbor Freight, for example), and as Erik mentioned, you can probably get it scanned for free anyway. Do get the SG to help you refine your style if you want to.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I'm gonna call Aotuzone tomorrow to see if they can help me, then I'll go from there. I want a ScanGauge eventually, but gotta find out why my light is on first.
vectorg is offline   Reply With Quote