Classic Cars and eatin' gas - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIbulletcatcher View Post
Believe me, I'm trackin'. They would never work in the UK, not to mention that even over here they are ridiculous. Muscle cars and luxo barges really only work in a few places, and they are generally spread out and relatively flat. But what I meant to say, and I apologize for not clarifying, is that piloting a massive land yacht would be as exotic an experience for you as me driving a .7 liter car that, in all likelihood, might nearly have more cab room than my under-engineered boat! I like the idea of experiencing odd cultural things from other countries, such as different cars, differences in languages, dialects, approaches to national and individual situations, etc, and likewise the idea of getting someone used to small (by American standards) and efficient cars into a monstrosity of vehicle with a giant v8 that STILL only makes 150 hp but is so comfortable you almost don't care brings a smile to my face.

One thing that I think you cats do right as far as auto appreciation goes is that you are able to appreciate the quirky and often poorly engineered cars for what they are. That's not as widely seen here, or at least not in my part of Florida. A POS is a POS regardless of its story here. I sometimes feel that people don't appreciate the history of the car in the US. It is, after all, one of our biggest legacies.

Also, great post man!
You ever price an AMC Pacer or Gremlin? They're quirky and expensive now. When I was in high school, a Pacer could be had for $100. I had the opportunity to buy a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible for $600. Now a non running 76 Eldorado convertible is $4,000!

As far as driving a car with a .7 liter engine... I don't know if I really want to drive a car with a smaller engine than my motorcycle.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
You ever price an AMC Pacer or Gremlin? They're quirky and expensive now. When I was in high school, a Pacer could be had for $100. I had the opportunity to buy a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible for $600. Now a non running 76 Eldorado convertible is $4,000!

As far as driving a car with a .7 liter engine... I don't know if I really want to drive a car with a smaller engine than my motorcycle.

I see your pinto and raise you: a Chevy Chevette!

Old 01-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #13
Registered Member

You should try it, I promise its the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on, unless you drive it naked! I used to love telling people I drive an exotic, Ferrari red, rear engined, rear wheel drive car, and then seeing thier face when they finaly see the thing. Despite 26 hp, it only has 620kg to haul around so it's not as slow as you might imagine, happily cruises at 70 MPH too. God I loved that thing, why did I sell it? Its a Fiat 126 by the way, google it, you wont stop laughing!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 AM   #14
Registered Member

26 hp car. Man, that's ridiculous lol. I'd feel like I was going to die on the freeway! But there's something to be said about a zippy and agile car.

And speaking of driving naked, When I had my caddy I would drive to the beach shoeless and shirtless because the who car was so soft. I mean, if your seats looked like this in your car, you'd feel like a king

Old 01-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

That looks a lot like the seats in my 1981 Buick Regal Limited. I've been told on numerous occasions that the the seats in my Buick are "The most comfortable I've ever been in"

Old 01-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
Registered Member

Big seats for big people

If you slid the seats all the way forward in my Fiat 126, they come off the rails and are so small and light, they make great camping/ picnic seats!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Big seats for big people

If you slid the seats all the way forward in my Fiat 126, they come off the rails and are so small and light, they make great camping/ picnic seats!

I assume you speak from experience?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
That looks a lot like the seats in my 1981 Buick Regal Limited. I've been told on numerous occasions that the the seats in my Buick are "The most comfortable I've ever been in"

Last pic is in fact from a buick regal, or an Electra. I forget
Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to fatvet
Hi Max, you got some nice land yachts.....
Hope you get them tune-ups done cuz 15mpg should be easy, something is wrong if you're getting 9.8 unless you drive pedal to the metal all day long..?

I have been looking but i can't find a car with V8 power and better mileage than my Imp SS, so i am just keeping it.
-ALF out..
Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #20
Site Team / Moderator

Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars with the fuel injected 302's and 4 speed overdrive trannies do quite well. I can get my grandfather's Grand Marquis to do over 30 MPG on the highway. I was even able to do it on my great aunt's 88 Lincoln Town Car. As long as you don't have a lead foot, they return astounding numbers for their size on the highway.