Cylinder head dimpling NASCAR BANNED - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cylinder head dimpling NASCAR BANNED

Hi All,

I dont know if anyone has ever heard of this but there's a "FREE" way to increase combustion efficiency onsteel headed engines with something called "dimpling"

NASCAR actually banned this in the 80's because as usual if they cant control it (AKA Bloomberg and My Big Gulp) they wont allow it.

What it simply is, is a series of high points (usually done with a very small chisel) to create "HOT SPOTS" within the combustion chamber. The further the dimples are from the spark plug the better. What happens is that during flame propagation the high spots create additional hot spots to aid in combustion efficiency. What this basically means is that you make much more power throughout the entire RPM band with the same amount of fuel. So what that means is that you dont need as much throttle to get you down the road.

As far as aluminum heads go it doesnt work. The high spots burn away and it actually works against you.

Post back for more info......

Cheers.

dynovalvefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
Registered Member

Dimpling Mistake

Sorry I mis-spoke about aluminum before, It does work on aluminum but not long term. NASCAR Race engines usually dont see more than one race, so by the time the aluminum high spots fully burned away the engine was already one destined for the scrapper.

Also pre-ignition is a major issue, this method requires a precise pattern of dimples that follows the "combustion swirl" It was easy to figure out on my old steel headed LT1 engine and there was no noticeable detonation. It also allowed me to "retard" my timing a few degree's with LT1 Edit Software.

dynovalvefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynovalvefrank View Post
Sorry I mis-spoke about aluminum before, It does work on aluminum but not long term. NASCAR Race engines usually dont see more than one race, so by the time the aluminum high spots fully burned away the engine was already one destined for the scrapper.

Also pre-ignition is a major issue, this method requires a precise pattern of dimples that follows the "combustion swirl" It was easy to figure out on my old steel headed LT1 engine and there was no noticeable detonation. It also allowed me to "retard" my timing a few degree's with LT1 Edit Software.
Crap!

Too late. Now I've got dimples I didn't need. LOL
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

all that LT1 junk is a big inconsistent hot spot to begin with due to those 2 poorly placed exhaust ports offset in the center. this is why they fixed the bad head design on the LS motors.

there is no performance to be had by creating hot spots in the chamber. hot spots cause detonation and require less timing, richer mixture, and lower compression ratios to eliminate. all of which rob power. if you really believe anything you just wrote you need to take a better look at physics and reality. why on earth anybody would create a problem and then compensate for it by reducing performance by pulling timing is beyond me. if you want to fill a forum with your bad information, i suggest you find a different one.
rob342 is offline   Reply With Quote