First intro - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-18-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

First intro

I've been an auto enthusiast since my first car in 1971, and have participated in on-line forums since 2002. I'm presently registered under the same name at 8thcivic and my350z, and some others I don't recall. I have always liked tweaking cars but it wasn't until a few years ago when gas prices hit the stratosphere that I started being interested in FE. Before the first popular hybrid hit the streets I was pumping up the tires, removing all unnecessary weight (everything that doesn't make the car GO qualifies), driving conservatively (some say it's old age - they wouldn't say that if they were in the passenger seat when I drive the 350Z), and experimenting with fuel additives (acetone), ECU reflashes, and aerodynamics.

My new 2007 Civic EX is my first real econobox. Through the various methods mentioned above, I have managed to attain the following average MPGs. Mind you, this is for mostly highway driving, but I hate cities, so: 1995 G20 Chevy conversion van, V6, A/T, 20MPG; 2002 Tundra V8, supercharged, A/T, 18MPG; 2005 350Z, 300HP 6MT, 29MPG, and my Civic which after only 830 miles (2 tankfuls) is getting just under 40 MPG. I bought the ScanGauge II last year and have been working to improve the FE on the 350Z and the Civic. The other cars were a lost cause... even a 10% improvement on the Tundra was only 2MPG.

Here's what I have done on the 350 Z: HF catalytic converters, low resistance exhaust, removal of front and rear windshield wipers, acetone (2oz/10gal), synthetic fluids, and weight reduction. I removed almost 200lbs from the Z. Motorcycle battery, titanium exhaust, spare tire, jack, and replacement of engine and suspension components with lightweight equivalents. Mind you, the 350Z has several power mods, and a couple are neither legal nor beneficial to FE, but what the hell. I have also tempered my driving style based on feedback from the SG. The Civic has had the intake air duct routed behind the radiator, 40psi all around, and acetone in the tank. I plan to upgrade to RP synthetic after the first oil change. It already went from 37+ on the first tank to just under 40 for the second. Needless to say, I believe in things that give the biggest bang for the buck.

Anyway, this is my first intro in a forum, I felt compelled after that nice welcome by LxMike.

undrgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Supporting Member

yeah people say that it is old age for me 2 but im only 17 so i dont know how they think that. But thats really good for a 350z my friend has the g35 coupe adn he cant get anything near that i cant wait to tell him that

Old 03-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Supporting Member

Hi undrgnd -

Welcome to GasSavers! Is the Civic a coupe or sedan? Your 350Z mods are amazing, 200 lbs!?!??

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

Welcome. I did similar things with our 240SX, removing all excess weight and optimizing the component systems - all in the name of performance efficiency. Driving like a pre scan-gauge idiot my mileage averaged high epa but performance was much better and was really enjoyed. At track days, modded 1.8 GTIs had a hard time keeping up with the mostly stock, optimized 240. Tarted up "JDM" 240's were easy targets, what fun.
Smiles per gallon is where its at for me. Sadly I'm in a place in life right now where I can only drive a truck. Enjoy that 350Z, I hear they are a hoot.
bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Driving on E

welcome aboard. I'm fairly impressed with the new Civics... When I was looking for my Honda Fit I ALMOST bought a Civic EX. If I remember correctly, the Civic EX has better fuel economy than the Honda Fit.

Go figure.

Anyway, welcome to the site and I hope that you stick around for a while. You're joining in the perfect time, as the spring and summer are when the site gets really busy. Something about the weather and being able to work on cars I think.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks all! I'll hang around here a while, especially since the Civic coupe is a daily driver I plan to keep for a long time. Yea, the 350 is loads of fun, but not very practical for a family. I can easily shed another 100lbs if I replace the motorized leather seats and strip the sound insulation and mats, but not gonna happen. I'll just drive the Civic a little more frequently for my part to save the planet. Thanks again for the welcome.

undrgnd is offline   Reply With Quote