Fng - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-21-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Fng

Hey,
Just a bit about myself. New here but not to MPG obsessions. I previously owned 2 TDIs before my wagon. Another obsession I have is for wagons. I picked up the koffin hoping to equal my MPG I had with my '02 Jetta auto(~42).

I snapped a valve on the stock 2.2 SOHC F22A6 engine. This put me at a crossroad with the koffin. I opted for "go big or go home" option and am in the process of swapping in an 2.2 DOHC H22A4 from an '00 prelude. Instant 200hp.

My goal is have the best of both worlds. A quick, fun sleeper of a car that can get impressive MPG numbers too boot.

I also have the equipment to tune OBD1 ECUs for Honda/Acuras. My primary ECU will have a Moates 2Timer that will allow me to run fuel maps. In my case, 1 for E85 and 1 for Gasoline(E10 up here).

Hopefully I can add some insight in the tuning dept, or anything else.

I understand many of my mods are conducive to high mileage, but at this point, I will make the sacrifice of function for fashion. My wife would be proud!

Have a great holiday!

Untuned
koffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 AM   #2

Moates

Welcome. I'm a recovering H-badged horsepower junkie myself. Just don't turbocharge it and you'll be fine. But man...a sleeper wagon with a well hidden intercooler...BOOM!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Supporting Member

You can run E85 in that? IF so please tell me how i have the same year honda accord but it is a ex sedan
Old 12-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs
You can run E85 in that? IF so please tell me how i have the same year honda accord but it is a ex sedan
You can run E85 in anything, however without tuning it will most likely run like . OR, run a piggyback system that sits in line of the injectors and ECU and fools the ECU to jam more fuel in. With my OBD1 and tuning tools, I will just "roll my own" fuel map to adjust for E85. The stoichiometric for gasoline is 14:1(air/fuel ratio). 14 parts air to 1 part fuel. E85 is ~8-9:1. You can run E85 leaner more safely than gasoline because it "runs cooler".

Since E85 is ~85% alcohol it can dry out rubber. Rubber such as gaskets, hoses, etc. Most fuel lines are steel. I haven't seen a failure that has resulted because of this though.

Check this forum. http://www.e85forum.com/ There a few guys with WRXs on that that run E85 without tuning and but a larger fuel pump and bigger injectors.

The bonus aspect is that E85 is ~104-105 octane. Cheap race fuel! Some racers are using it instead of highly oxygenated fuel because it is like 3/4 the price of race fuel with the same results. E85 is in abundance up here. I have a bit of treehugger in me and am excited to see what I can with that fuel map. I like the idea of alternative fuel. At that point, to measure success, I'll have to use cost per mile as my measure of efficiency.

Once I get a good basemap, I can chip your ECU and burn you a fuel map for E85. For a nominal fee of course. With the 2timer, you can switch between E85 and gasoline, OR a "fuel miser" map and normal map. Tuning is cool.

Untuned
Old 12-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

haha, i'm also a minnesotan!! therefor i've also seen the benefits of E-85, I actually managed one tank of pure e85 in the lincoln and got 26 mpg!! then the fuel pump died.

I use 50:50 mix of e-85 and 91 for my turbo b16 civic. this gives me enough octane to not detonate like crazy.

The only problem is, you'll have to run nearly empty other wise it'll be a tank of mixed e85 and 91, which doens't work the best. I personally mix my own in the garage. lol, which is why the civic has nothing in it's gas log for a loong time
Old 01-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Registered Member

swap is done

I finished my H22A4 swap into the wagon.
I have a few bugs to work out. I definitely need to tune it.
It pulls well and runs good. Now to find out what it can do efficiency wise.

Untuned