Ford Freakin Ranger :( New Member - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ford Freakin Ranger :( New Member

Well, i've managed to get my best tank of gas to date two days before I joined. I added it to my garage, i'm not all that worried about my ranger because i'm saving up for a new more fuel effecient car (civic hx?) Just wanted to say HELLO ALL! and YES it is possible to hypermill a truck

Old 03-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #2

Do you have the 6-plug V6 or the 8-plug 4-cylinder? Having gotten rid of my Ranger for anthing else (Altima right now, will be a CRX shortly) I found I loved the decrease in my wallet, and if they are nice and clean, Rangers sell quickly in most areas.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

8 wire 4cyl
I actually had one of the spark plug wiress come undone, but did not realize it because the cyl was not stumbling due to the other spark plug. Interesting design for used. The thing I hate most is in 1997 there are only two cars the Scangauge will not show mpg for.. MY RANGER and the Explorer they sold that year also... haha just my luck! But hope to have a gas sipper soon!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
I had a 96 4 cyl 5 speed.... turd of a truck if you ask me. now I have an 87 S10 4 cyl with as much torque and much better mileage even calculating smaller than stock tires and 4-speed manual with a bad rear end. ranger had 60k on it and ran like a top but couldn't spin the tires. impossible to get decent MPG if you can't move your own weight effectively.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

I had a 97 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder 5 speed as a lease once. I can't say I liked it since it replaced another car and I am just not a truck person. Although they do seem to get the best gas mileage out of any of the trucks besides the rabbit diesel. I measured 26mpg in it most of the time but that was long before I ever tried to squeeze the most miles out of a tank. However, according to this site looks like a few people are getting above 30mpg in their ranger. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.d...20Pickup%202WD If they came out with a torquey efficient diesel Ranger then Ford would be thinking. They don't think though. They are run by aging executives who think they best know how to make money when they don't. I can't wait for the new Fiesta diesel. That will be my next new car.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well the problem with Ford on and off, is that they are often subject to the whims and prejudices of the the Ford family members... some products just don't get out of the door 'coz of that.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
I'm just saying my 87 S10 gets the same mileage with the same size bed (the tonneau even fits) same torque (9 years earlier LOL), inferior trans, and I'm adjusting for smaller tires than stock.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Well the problem with Ford on and off, is that they are often subject to the whims and prejudices of the the Ford family members... some products just don't get out of the door 'coz of that.
I don't know where you heard that. Its because of Bill Ford that the Escape Hybrid became a reality. So did the city dump swamp gas powered rouge river assembly plant. (still have got to take my free tour of that.)

I'm telling ya it's because the aging execs are under the illusion that ALL Americans want big sloppy, heavy, smelly, gas guzzlers that handle like bloated whales. I've come to that conclusion having known more than a handful of Ford engineers which the company routinely ignores the advice ofand having driven enough European Fords to notice the huge difference.

UK Fords for example would sell incredibly well here if they just gave them a shot.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightontheMarc View Post
Its because of Bill Ford that the Escape Hybrid became a reality. So did the city dump swamp gas powered rouge river assembly plant. (still have got to take my free tour of that.)
Well there ya go, if a Ford is behind it, it happens, if one ain't it don't.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Registered Member

Wayne at CleanMPG has an '03, and his average mpg is 38, with tanks up to 50 mpg. It's possible.

palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote