Future Metro owner from MN - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Future Metro owner from MN

Hey guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 18 and from Minnesota. I first started thinking about getting a Metro last year, but due to financial issues I decided to research them rather than go out and look. Well, now that I'm about to make a sale on my '87 F150, I figure I can use the money from that to put towards a Geo Metro.

It seems hard finding a decent Metro for a decent price in Minnesota. Most people go hog-wild on the prices because of the great fuel economy. I remember one car had like 160k some miles on it and it wasn't in the best of shape and they still wanted over $3,000 for it! Minnesota, and other states in the Midwest don't really have an impressive market for Metros. A few people will let them go for $500-800ish but typically they run for about $2,300+ here.

Like I said, I'm still trying to find a Metro in Minnesota or the neighboring states. I think having a Metro would be pretty fun, providing it works as its supposed to and whatnot. If/when I get a Metro I'd like to have a few body modifications done to it, like wheel skirts, take out the back seats, headlight covers, mini wing/spoiler in the very back, anything really to try to boost gas mileage.

Well, anyhow, I hope I find a Metro. And I'm sure if I do I'll be posting on these forums quite often beforehand to make sure I know what to look for when looking at a Geo Metro.

See you all around,
Andrew

andrmtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Supporting Member

Have u seen metrompg around this site he has some great info
P.S. welcome to the site its nice to see that there are some young kids like myself worried about mpg

Old 02-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
Have u seen metrompg around this site he has some great info
P.S. welcome to the site its nice to see that there are some young kids like myself worried about mpg
Oh yeah, actually I probably wouldn't have found my way to these forums if it wasn't for his MetroMPG.com website.

Even if I was a millionaire I'd probably be interested in fuel economy. I wouldn't call myself a "tree hugger" but I do have great concern for the environment. I also hate being a tool to the oil industry, but in the 21st century they're going to get your money one way or another - it doesn't matter if it is to fill up your gar, heat your house, or cook your food. They'll get your money. I want to give them least as I possibly can while living a normal life.
andrmtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Supporting Member

yeah im the same way somwere in the middle i try not to over use because its good for my wallet and the world so it works both ways

i do live in a "green house" though
Old 02-25-2007, 04:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Your story about finding a Metro sounds just like mine!

KKB.com says the cars worth $500 but here in New Orleans good luck finding it for less than $3000!

However, I suggest the next time you see one driving down the road or in a parking lot talk to the owner. You maybe surprised that they are willing to part with theirs for way less than $3000.

If you read my post about trying to find a metro you will see that I asked my next door neighbor to sell hers to me before she moves out of town for $400. Instead she said she would just give me the car.

You never know what will happen????

Anyhow, good to see you here!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #6
ELF
Registered Member

Welcome andrmtro, Nice to see younger people interested in mpg.
I wouldn't limit myself to a metro though, those are not the only cars that get good mpg. If you can find one for a good price thats great, but you don't need a metro to contribute to this site.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
*shrug*

Welcome welcome! Are you in highschool or have you moved past it already?

Sounds like a good trade, 150 for metro...I wish you luck finding one...you could always go for a crx hf or vx if you're looking for something between 1k-2k that get's great mileage.

Depending on your level of experience, you could find a blown metro for cheap and swap the engine/transmission,

Good luck!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Registered Member

Welcome to GS, Andrew. (I just sent you a message from metroMPG.com suggesting you check this site out - guess I was a bit late )

Metros are neat, sure, but as has been pointed out, there are other options.

If you're doing mostly highway driving, a Civic VX will kick the Metro's butt (lean burn at low load cruise). A Civic CX would be another car I'd consider looking at. (clencher: you forgot to add "Festiva" to the Ford list.)

If you're doing mostly in town driving, the Metro's lighter weight and low-powered engine make it pretty hard to beat (particularly when you start throwing driving technique at it).

Have you thought about going diesel? Find an old Golf and you could completely kick the oil barons out of the picture - do a greasecar conversion.

But, if you've got your heart set on getting a Metro (I was), first: realize that with "normal" driving technique, you'll have a difficult time reaching the (old) EPA mpg estimates. And be patient. Something will turn up. I spent months looking for the two '98 versions I bought, and most I saw were overpriced too.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck and keep us posted.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrmtro View Post
And I'm sure if I do I'll be posting on these forums quite often beforehand to make sure I know what to look for when looking at a Geo Metro.
Check this link. Some good info in it:

Things to look at when buying a Geo Metro
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
Supporting Member

Welcome andrmtro -

Look over the Garage and see the top performers to see what you can work with.

Since I have a Saturn, I will *of course* suggest a Saturn S?1 that gets 29 City / 40 Highway MPG. The S?1 version is the one with the SOHC engine that is a manual stickshift. And they're probably cheap (right?!?!?!). Since they're plastic on the outside, they might not have as many rust problems in Minnesota.

But like everyone else says, get the one YOU want.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote