Hello from Noobie owner of a 92 Civic VX - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
Junior Mint

Its a 92 and from what I read the vtec-e thing wasn't on there til 94 & 95, but I could be wrong. The engine block is properly stamped and all the parts seem to fit a VX including the 5 wire O2 sensor. I ran through this in a different thread. See http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=5149

Thanks though, I appreciate the comps! I think she's a real gem. I'll be real happy once I straighten the FE out. If I can get 50 I'll be happy. It's running on the wrong plugs now and I'm changing them tomorrow. I'm hoping plugs will help.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have the VTEC on it, but I'll check tomorruh. Actually, my car is going in for some rust repair so it can pass inspection (still haven't got it inspected since I bought it!)

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Couple things I'd like to add to that How-To:
When measuring the voltage on the TPS, you don't need the car running, just the ignition to "on/run"

Secondly, once you have the voltage set to .45V (slightly below that is fine too) Have someone press the gas pedal all the way to the floor (this is why I set my TPS with the car just in the run position) and make sure that the voltage goes above 4.5V and below 5V.

On the valve cover thing..All VTEC motors in 92-93 did NOT have VTEC (or in our cases VTEC-E) on the valve covers. This was a 94-95 deal for our cars.

When I first got my VX it had the ZFR5F-11 plugs in it and had a low RPM stumble something fierce once warmed up. It went down to being the normal power stumble upon acceleration once the correct ZFR4F-11 plugs were installed.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:38 AM   #14
Junior Mint

Many thanks for the detailed info. I will check it out once the rain vamooses! I hope I'm in the ballpark so I don't have to back this out.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #15
Registered Member

If the aforementioned fixes don't work to fix your idle problem, it could also be that the IACV or EGR are clogged and need to be cleaned out. I know on the 120k mile VX motor I installed in my civic, the IACV was pretty much clogged.

Good luck with the car, and it sounds like you got a great deal on it!

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #16
Registered Member

Welcome to the site. I'm a noobie too but your a many steps ahead of me being that I'm stilling looking for a VX or CX. Hope you MPG get better with the new plugs.
smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #17
Junior Mint

IACV? Whats this and where do I find it...

Been looking at the schematics and can't seem to locate the bugger. If any one can toss the dog a bone, it'll be much appreciated. Thanks.

...Good luck Smccall, it took me some weeks to locate one. Be vigilant and check daily, nothing worse than getting to a listed VX a day late and having it gone.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogncatboy View Post
Been looking at the schematics and can't seem to locate the bugger. If any one can toss the dog a bone, it'll be much appreciated. Thanks.

...Good luck Smccall, it took me some weeks to locate one. Be vigilant and check daily, nothing worse than getting to a listed VX a day late and having it gone.
Consider the bone tossed...HERE

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/433256087.html

Click the above link. It is a 1992 Civic VX. Scroll down to the pics. You'll see a pic of the engine with the vtec-e cover. I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have it though. But this 1992 model apparently does. Although... the ad says 99% stock, and the vtec-e cover looks pretty clean so maybe it is a replacement part. Peanuts and argyles.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #20
Junior Mint

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.... One more thing to do tomorrow morning!!!!