Hello from Oregon - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello from Oregon

Hello Everybody,

Just joined.

I knew about this website and forum, but decided to give gas saving a try only few days ago after reading about it on msn. I own an old Mazda 626 (1995 ? 130,000 miles ? 4 cylinder ? automatic) and make 22-25 mpg for a mixed city and hwy drive.
Despite my car abilities I normally am what I think is called a spirited driver, I like mountain twisted roads, I am bored on hwys, rarely exceed speed limit by more than the ?norm? and never had an accident since 1977 when I got my driving permit.

Few days ago I started to put in practice few easy gas saving techniques that make perfect sense, but never thought they might matter a lot. So I can?t wait to see the result when I will fill the tank next week. Basically what I do is I avoid hard accelerations, drive at speed limit or lower and coast as much as I can. This last one bought me a honk from an impatient follower as I was approaching a red light. Also while driving at the speed limit on city roads, even though I am on the right lane, some drivers are really pushing my rear end.

Thanks,
Dual Trace

Dual Trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome. You're right in the EPA estimated range for your car, and I bet you'll be able to beat it. Be sure to put your car in the "garage" and start a gaslog.

Hang around, read up on the different (sometimes VERY different) strategies that others here are using, and you'll be able to refine your strategies to increase your mileage and maybe reduce how much you make following drivers angry.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Keep approaching the red light, I wouldn't mind if I never had to stop for one .

regards
gary