hello gassavers - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to woohoo!
hello gassavers

Ive been looking for a civic VX for the past 2 years or so, but never had the chance to buy one until last month when someone in a minivan ran a red light when i was turning left and ran into me and my integra head on...fun times! so after that i took a loan from the bank of my sister and found myself a 95 vx 50 miles away owned by a smog technician. totally stock (it is impossible to find a vx totally stock or with 200k or more especially here...) with 126k on the body and 40k on the jdm z1 engine (the previous engine blew up apparently). Ive been keeping a personal gas log on my PDA and i average about 37-39 MPG in mixed driving about 45% highway cruising at 75 - 85 (i went 85 cause i was driving home at midnight and i really had to pee), and at 5% highway i average around 38MPG. i try my best to stay below vtec in city driving, but i feel like my MPG numbers are still low. which is why im here on gassavers! I hope my stupidity, humor, and poor grammar will fit in with you guys. Thanks! ill try to give updates on my car whenever i can.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo!
i went 85 cause i was driving home at midnight and i really had to pee.
I was doing about 65mph in a 35 zone very late one dark evening.

I had but sqwertz and needed to go home quite quickly.
So i was whizzing down the road and I see what I thought was a drunk wander out onto the road just in front of me , so I had to swerve realy hard to miss this dude, and luckily I did , JUST.

I didnt slow down at all to see who it was , so my wife turned around in her seat to look , and she says ?IT WAS A COP !!?

Sure enough , when I too glanced over my shoulder it indeed was a police man standing in the middle of the road still holding up his little sign saying ?STOP?.

He looked frozen like a statue , probably crapin his pants too just realising he was almost made dead.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
and she says ?IT WAS A COP !!?

Sure enough , when I too glanced over my shoulder it indeed was a police man standing in the middle of the road still holding up his little sign saying ?STOP?.
And you had a license plate which told the whole world your name & address? All lit up at night? Lucky you!!!
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hart
And you had a license plate which told the whole world your name & address? All lit up at night? Lucky you!!!
I think he was so stunned he didnt take it down .
I never heard anything from them about it.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Welcome aboard Woohoo!

Those numbers are a little low for a stock VX, but then again your's isn't stock. You said that there is a JDM equivalent Z1 in there, that may be the problem. But then again, what tire pressures are you running, how fast are you accelerating and what are your other driving techniques like? Is the Check engine light on?

With more info, we can help get you going in the right direction with your car.

Don't forget to fill out a garage entry and gaslog!

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
*shrug*

Hey there, welcome to the site! It does sound like there is a problem with the VX, mehbe the o2 has gotten lazy, try hooking up a voltmeter to it while you drive to make sure it goes into lean burn and all that, and pretty much acts like it should. You can search around or wait for a better description, I've never done it, so I'm not an authority on z1 02 sensor monitoring.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

when the previous owner dropped the z1 in there he changed the o2 sensor he did tell me that the pcv was a bit dirty and no check engine light...i havent really touched the car since i got it but what psi do you guys recommend? i accelerate smoothly, always keeping the car under 2k, shift points are usually between 1.5k and 2k

thanks!

onegammyleg...your story makes me want to pee before i drive everytime
Old 11-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Registered Member

For a VX your mileage seems like it's pretty low. The mileage your getting is more typical of my 89 DX and it's pretty much stock. I'd be checking the voltage on the O2 sensor. I'll bet it's never going into lean burn mode.

On your tire pressure's, their are a lot of opinion's. I am running 55psi in all 4 tires on my 89 Wagovan. I raised it up from 35 and my butometer says that it rolls substantially farther, compared to previously. My tires are almost worn in to where I'm starting to get tread wear across all of the tire. Other than the stiffer ride, I can't see that raising the pressure has caused any problems.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Man, do I hate it when I'm driving to school and discover that a turtle head is trying to poke its way through. Nothing more irratating than clenching your asscheeks tight while trying to drive a stick shift.

37-39 mpg does sound low for a VX, but it must be understood that if you're doing 75-85 mph, you're going to use nearly twice the fuel as if you were to go 50 mph due to increased horsepower requirements to maintain speed.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
37-39 mpg does sound low for a VX, but it must be understood that if you're doing 75-85 mph, you're going to use nearly twice the fuel as if you were to go 50 mph due to increased horsepower requirements to maintain speed.
even in the city with conservative driving i still get about 37...weird, i really want to check the O2 and lean burn thing, can anyone give me a step by step of how to do that?

thanks!

oh and VXers, what range does your car normally idle at?