Hello, I'm a new user - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I'm a new user

Hello everyone,

I've looked at fuel economy on many cars on Fuelly for years. I do like to drive efficiently and have read all of the tips as well as used about every tip possible. I still have to browse forums for one answer to a question. I'm looking at buying a 2014-2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0. I looked at all the excellent data by contributors about fuel economy. What I still can't find is how reliable they are. I've had good success with a Ford and Hyundai previously. Any informative input would be appreciated. Thanks

car-enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-enthusiast View Post
Hello everyone,

I've looked at fuel economy on many cars on Fuelly for years. I do like to drive efficiently and have read all of the tips as well as used about every tip possible. I still have to browse forums for one answer to a question. I'm looking at buying a 2014-2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0. I looked at all the excellent data by contributors about fuel economy. What I still can't find is how reliable they are. I've had good success with a Ford and Hyundai previously. Any informative input would be appreciated. Thanks
Most of us who have owned hybrids do not re-purchase a hybrid. A recent article on best 10 worst 10 vehicles listed the Focus and perhaps this one, although the outstanding worst manufacturer was Fiat/Chrysler.
zcfd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

The Fiesta isn't a hybrid; just a tiny engine with a turbo.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

The current conclusion looks as if reliability is possibly higher than some news sources and credible websites state i.e. Edmunds, U.S. news car rankings, etc. Some of the information is just bogus. Some was based from recalls that may or may not have effected the car. There's tons of them on the road. I've never seen one broke down. There's some for sale with the 1.6 MT with 120-140k miles that haven't had any transmission swaps or rebuilt/replaced engines. Literally that's probably good enough for me. Maybe some users don't come on forums at all or much. Maybe I can email them to ask reliability questions. I've had older Fords that have had excellent reliability. I don't thrash any vehicles to begin with which is probably why there's a slight stronger persuasion to buy another one. Thanks for the replies. I'm not stuck on a Fiesta but it has all the performance criteria that I like. I'm going to keep researching.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

The Fiesta is as reliable as any other modern, mass produced car. The 1.0 litre Ecoboost engine is quite highly stressed so proper maintenance protocol is very important. My sister-in-law had one and has just replaced it with a Ecoboost Focus, so she was happy.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

TrueDelta is a source for reliability data submitted by actual owners. Need a subscription to see their entire database, but the free data is not skimped on.
https://www.truedelta.com/

From a quick look, the Fiesta suffers from issues in the HVAC system(blend door), leaking axle seals, and one 1.0L had a head gasket failure at 56k miles, with the entire engine replaced under warranty. The DCT isn't an option with the 1 Liter, so no worries about that.
https://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Fiest...-301,2014-2017
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

Here in the UK, warranty direct issue warranties on cars that have exceeded the manufacturers standard warranty. They collate the data and rank each car individualy, the closer to zero the better. The Fiesta score just 23 which is excellent, compare that to some of the German stuff that scores 300-400!

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/308

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

That all sounds about right. I'll be getting a U.S. spec. The UK data would be accurate though because of where the engine is made and how much longer people have had their cars on the model year vs. the U.S... I'm looking at ones with 50-60k miles. One has almost all highway miles and doesn't sound too scarey if at all. The prices have finally started to tumble fast from dealerships and private owners. It looks like these have timing chains and not belts? One dealer I emailed said a chain on the 1.6, so it seems the 1.0 would have one too? The other reason I know at least the engine is good is it's not in the 2018 U.S. Fiesta but it's still in the Focus and now added to the 2018 Ecosport so it has to have a decent track record theoretically or Ford would have axed it completely. Good information from everyone. It's greatly appreciated. One thing that doesn't bug me is if the car I buy didn't have the recalls taken care of I have no problem with that and I'm extremely strict on maintenance. I don't hot-rod anything unless it's absolutely necessary. Most all of my cars go between 100k - 200k without engine or transmission issues strictly by being conservative.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

My only warning as regards to fuel economy, is that these tiny engines perform well in the lab tests, but in real life, they often work very hard and attempts to get decent fuel economy can be difficult. That being said, the Fiesta is quite a small car, so the effects won't be as great, but you get similar sized engines in mid sized hatches like the focus, even some small crossovers here, and aerodynamics and weight become challenges for small capacity engines like this.

If it were my pick, I'd try and get the 1.0. Litre ecoboost with 140 bhp, as it's the most powerful engine of that size, so you don't have to sacrifice performance in search of good fuel economy. Note, the diesel engined Fiesta recently got 126 UK MPG in a recent event, shame it's not available over there!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote