Hello! Newbie here! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello! Newbie here!

Hey all!

I've always known how to calculate mileage exactly, but since replacing my '04 Civic 4 sp AT Coupe with an '06 Civic 5 sp MT, I've been getting very excited about getting the best gas mileage I can. I loved how my old Civic got 38-40 mpg without even trying. Sadly, that car was totaled (not my fault!) and insurance paid well enough that I was able to replace my salvage-titled beater with a very well maintained, one owner 8th gen atomic blue manual with a 13k miles on a brand new Honda engine. And the entire transaction only cost my $49. Thank you NJ Manufacturers! I LOVE the car and love driving a stick again (it's been almost 30 years) but was a little disappointed to be only getting 35-36 mpg with it. I guess that's not too bad since the engine is bigger and the car weighs about 250 lbs more than its 7th gen predecessor, but I wanted to do better.

So I found Fuelly and started reading about hypermiling. I'm doing what I can (within reason - I won't turn the car off while driving)and I'm getting close to averaging 40. I got the MT sort of as a midlife crisis thing. I mean, how many 50+ women enjoy driving a stick? LOL! But now I have become an old granny, cruising along in the right lane while the 18 wheelers tailgate and flash their high beams at me. Always a challenge!

I've spent some time looking at the civic mileages people are getting, and while I'm jealous of those averaging in the low 40s, I'm shocked at those getting in the mid 20s! How must they be driving their cars? What am I missing here?

Anyway, great to be here and I look forward to learning more and more!

(We own 5 older cars and all the others get sucky mileage. LOL)

Karen (aka My3gr8boyz)

My3gr8boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
Out of Fuel

Welcome to the forum, Karen! Cheers!
EddWick is offline   Reply With Quote