Hey - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey

I heard about this site from the team swift forum. I liked this site so well I just had to register.

So a little about me; I like conservation, alternative energy stuff, and modifying vehicles, so this site seems to suit my interests well.

Here's the story of my car:

I bought my first fuel saver car this fall. A 94 geo metro 3cyl 5spd. It was a mess and barely ran, but I got it cheap. It had about 118k miles and the cylinder compression was so good (200psi on all 3) that I figured I couldn't go wrong. I limped it to my brother's house a couple blocks from where I bought it and started messing with it. I advanced the timing alot and it ran good enough to drive the 17 miles to my house. After I got the check engine bulb working I was able to pull codes and get somewhere. The MAP sensor code was the only one coming up. So I found one at the junkyard and replaced it and readjusted the timing. That was pretty much the only thing I needed to do to get it running decent. There were alot of other things I had to do to the rest of the car, but I don't want to write a novel or anything.

I've kept a gas log for this car since I got her running decent. Is it cool to post a log that started months before I registered to this site?

thanks, jamie

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hey Jamie, welcome! (Nice to have another Metroid on board.)

I'm at teamswift.net pretty regularly too. Sometimes it's where you've got to go to find or give the specific info for these cars.

Sounds like you made a nice find on your car. You should definitely add your info to the gas log (and your car details to the garage .. post pics if you've got 'em) - no problem posting tanks back as far as you want.

Darin

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Jamie's not afraid to get his hands dirty!! Good job. How is your mileage so far? My brother owns 2 Geos and loves them. Good little cars.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

And out of curiosity, what were you driving before the Metro?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

My running average so far is 48.6 mpg. I was commuting with a 95 park avenue that got 30mpg on the highway, but I still own an 89 mercury cougar xr7 3.8 sc 5spd that I drive sometimes in the summer. It is modded for power not economy (low 20s mpg) . Oh, and I drive an 89 gmc s-15 4cyl 5speed (mid 20s mpg) for wood haulin etc.

I do really like driving the metro, it's like a go kart .

jamie

Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hey MetroMPG, you have been a good source of inspiration from all your tests and experiments I've read on teamswift, gassavers, and your web site.

CO ZX2, nice job with you car! A co-worker has a red 99 5spd zx2, I'll have to show him your's.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

Noticed you've got LRRs on the rear, why not stick them on the front where they'll help more? (Unless it's a tread/traction issue for the winter - I see you're in Michigan).

PS - going to put up pics? I want to seeeee the multicoloured beastie.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7
My running average so far is 48.6 mpg. I was commuting with a 95 park avenue that got 30mpg on the highway, but I still own an 89 mercury cougar xr7 3.8 sc 5spd that I drive sometimes in the summer. It is modded for power not economy (low 20s mpg) . Oh, and I drive an 89 gmc s-15 4cyl 5speed (mid 20s mpg) for wood haulin etc.

I do really like driving the metro, it's like a go kart .

jamie
Glad to hear your enjoying the metro! I'd also like to share the fact that you own one of my dream cars! If for any reason you ever consider selling this for any reason at all. You should definetly let me knoW!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

The LRRs are only 32 psi max and the fronts are 44psi, so i have the fronts pretty hard around 40psi. Plus I never really thought about swapping. The LRRs do have a pretty small footprint, so not sure about the winter traction like you said. I just took some pics of my geo to upload at work tomorrow.

red91sit, so you like the 89 xr7? I have actually had it up for sale for a while due to space limitations. I don't really want to get rid of it but I don't really drive it much. It is in storage now so in spring I may put it back up 4 sale. It is really fun to drive, but the torque is soo addictive that you end up in boost so much that it gets low mpg.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #10
Registered Member

OH my gosh! woudl i like it? I'd LOVE one!!!! They are pretty much my dream car!