Hey, 38mpg in 1992 Infiniti G20 SR20VE - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey, 38mpg in 1992 Infiniti G20 SR20VE

Ok, I'm at a point where I can finally enjoy posting about my car. It's a 1992 Infiniti G20 with a newer motor called the SR20VE. The last few months have been trial and error in trying to figure how to best tune this motor. The sr20forum has been great in providing all the information I needed, but sometimes one just has to go and experience it.
I traded a $500 Civic for this car and then put in about $2000 to swap in the motor. I have installed a light flywheel, stock clutch, lots of new seals/gaskets/o-rings. The ecu was chipped by me and I found a tuned bin file from sr20forum. The engine's compression ratio is 11:1 so I have to run 93 octane gas. But, I do get a consistent 30 mpg in the city.
I installed a no-name ebay stainless header with 2.5" outlet and a 3" test pipe in place of the oxygen sensor. I need to replace the 3" test pipe with one that is 2.5" to match, then replace the rest of the exhaust with 2.5" stainless. The header is port matched by me to the cylinder head.
I know, I know - the Civic would have given me better gas mileage...but...I love the SR motors and this SR20VE does not disappoint. We recently moved from Oregon to Virginia and got 38 mpg consistently at 75 mph. I wish I could have cruised at 55 mph but we needed to get to VA quicker than that.
I'd like to play around with fuel efficient tires, higher tire pressures and a proper air dam up front. Also, maybe I could try a vortex generator on the back window like that used on EVO's? I'm still researching on this website.

Here are some pics, please excuse the nasty front end -working on it:

norurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Hey, 38mpg in 1992 Infiniti G20 SR20VE

Sounds like a great project! Don't feel bad about not having a Civic, it's not the right car for everyone.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

i considered buying a G20 in the past--good looking car. best wishes in your endeavor of better economy.

about Honda...i've NEVER been one to conform, but i must say i like honda better than toyota, since i've recently owned/test driven both. i now understand the perception/opinion of many experts/enthusiasts leaning towards honda as the best auto maker.

never owned or driven a nissan/infiniti tho...
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

Welcome to GasSavers.org.

I like that engine!
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote