Hey all, I'm new here! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
Careful there. There are plently of normal people who get good mileage(40mpg) out of there cheap plastic saturns. Saturns are dependable and inexpensive to work on. There are no valve adjustments or timing belts to change. Every car has its quirks I venture to say that cost of ownership is equal between the civic and s-series. My car sold new for $12.2k the PO averaged 34-36mpg all city and kept impeccable records. As for faster hah!. I ran a 10.75 in the eighth mile running my HAI and a half tank of fuel. By my research the only the early HX's could come close. Remember its 2350lbs & 100hp verses 2750lbs and 115hp.
that's why I think the HX is such a good car. It weighs more (safer) has more power and yes still has better FE! But I don't dispute your arguments for operating costs. I was thinking purely about FE. But the Saturn does have a better power to weight ratio than the HX. Actually I got a figure of 2313lbs curb weight, not 2750.

Old Fueleconomy.gov ratings:
1996 Civic HX
41mpg Combined
39mpg City
45mpg Highway

I have nothing against Saturn. I just don't see why it is so common on here--so often touted as a good car - it doesn't seem to me to be anything special - seems random to single it out as a good FE car. But I have heard they are more reliable than some other GM cars. My point simply was, there are dozens of economical cars, why point out the Saturn which isn't particularly FE for its size?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #12
*shrug*

If you look at the top FE lists you'll see quite a few saturns, so I wouldn't go knocking them yet. They're also more common and cheaper than lots of Hondas/Toyotas.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
Supporting Member

Nice car it will be cool to see what you can get out of it. BTW welcome to gs
Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
If you look at the top FE lists you'll see quite a few saturns, so I wouldn't go knocking them yet. They're also more common and cheaper than lots of Hondas/Toyotas.
I'll agree there -- especially the SC/SL/SW series. To get a Toyota or Honda used for a decent price, you have to go with a high-mileage model.

But anyways, welcome Joker! Nice Skyline -- I've longed for one myself ever since Gran Turismo came out. As far as driving it slowly, good luck! I had an Evo and was in trouble all the time with speeding. Without having another daily driver, my solution was to sell the Evo for something more pedestrian. It's definitely a lifestyle change.

Best FE to ya...

RH77
Old 10-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #15
Supporting Member

Joker -

Welcome to GS! It's nice to see a Skyline with the round taillights. It looks like the one from Initial-D, . I can't imagine driving on the right side of the car. I would never trust my left hand with the shifter.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Joker -

Welcome to GS! It's nice to see a Skyline with the round taillights. It looks like the one from Initial-D, . I can't imagine driving on the right side of the car. I would never trust my left hand with the shifter.

CarloSW2
It's almost the same one from Initial D, just not the V-Spec II. After a while shifting gets easy. When I get in a LHD sometimes I'm confused and grab the door to shift, even if the LHD is an auto LOL.