Hey all, I'm new here! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Smile Hey all, I'm new here!

Hey guys, I just joined up today. Originally I was just looking for an online place to keep track of my fuel economy. This place seems like more fun. I drive a 1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R, the gas mileage is pretty low but I have been trying to be easy enough on the petal to save a bit here and there. I'm not 100% sure of the EPA values but I read once it was 17MPG city and 34MPG highway. I just logged my first tank at 17.51MPG. I'll see if I can do better with the next one.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
*shrug*

Nice car.

Are you living in 日本 by any chance?

Welcome to the site! My first bit of advice would be to pick up a beater,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Naw I'm up in Canada. Just looking for where to fill in my location avatar etc.. I do have a beater, a 1994 Chrysler Intrepid. Haven’t added to my garage yet. I drive it in the winter and when the Skyline is not practical.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
*shrug*

Hmm, well, as long as you have a beater already, I'd look into getting an old crx hf, civic cx, saturn, etc so you can pump out 50+ mpg numbers when you wanna,
Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Hmm, well, as long as you have a beater already, I'd look into getting an old crx hf, civic cx, saturn, etc so you can pump out 50+ mpg numbers when you wanna,
What's with all the Saturns... they aren't particularly efficient cars.... I find it really odd no one on here has the Civic HX or recommends it. Gets better mileage than a Saturn and probably faster car. Toyota Corollas are also pretty good on gas.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Registered Member

You gotta post pics of the Skyline!

If it were me and I had a Skyline I definitely wouldn't try to hypermile it. I'd drive it the way they meant for it to be driven.

I'd work on the number son the Intrepid and save the miles on the Skyline.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
What's with all the Saturns... they aren't particularly efficient cars.... I find it really odd no one on here has the Civic HX or recommends it. Gets better mileage than a Saturn and probably faster car. Toyota Corollas are also pretty good on gas.
People get good mileage out of them, they're cheap, and I can't argue with that. I think the HX is much more expensive than it's worth. *shrug*
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post

Careful there. There are plently of normal people who get good mileage(40mpg) out of there cheap plastic saturns. Saturns are dependable and inexpensive to work on. There are no valve adjustments or timing belts to change. Every car has its quirks I venture to say that cost of ownership is equal between the civic and s-series. My car sold new for $12.2k the PO averaged 34-36mpg all city and kept impeccable records. As for faster hah!. I ran a 10.75 in the eighth mile running my HAI and a half tank of fuel. By my research the only the early HX's could come close. Remember its 2350lbs & 100hp verses 2750lbs and 115hp.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoTofU View Post
You gotta post pics of the Skyline!

If it were me and I had a Skyline I definitely wouldn't try to hypermile it. I'd drive it the way they meant for it to be driven.

I'd work on the number son the Intrepid and save the miles on the Skyline.
Pics are in the garage http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/901

Not planning on hypermileing it. Just tracking the gas milage. I suppose mostly to keep me from speeding
Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
Careful there. There are plently of normal people who get good mileage(40mpg) out of there cheap plastic saturns. Saturns are dependable and inexpensive to work on. There are no valve adjustments or timing belts to change. Every car has its quirks I venture to say that cost of ownership is equal between the civic and s-series. My car sold new for $12.2k the PO averaged 34-36mpg all city and kept impeccable records. As for faster hah!. I ran a 10.75 in the eighth mile running my HAI and a half tank of fuel. By my research the only the early HX's could come close. Remember its 2350lbs & 100hp verses 2750lbs and 115hp.
Joker, welcome and best FE to you!

Lovemysan, THANK YOU for defending a domestic auto!!!

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote