Hey everyone... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone...

Well to start off, I'm not totally new... I had been using the username 87 4runner before now, but never got far enough to post much. My reason for getting a new username is because I sold the runner after a long string of mechanical issues, and after deciding I really didn't need a truck anymore. I bought my parent's 1996 Subaru Legacy wagon from them- it has all wheel drive so i can still get to where I want to in the outdoors, but get's much better mileage than the truck ever would (soon to be even better after some time.) Anyway, so I thought I'd change my username to something more car neutral- so this reflects my residency in the San Francisco Bay Area. Anyway, so some specs of my car are as follows. I'll soon start a gas log and stuff, but this is a taste:

96 Legacy L wagon (108,000 miles)
Auto transmission
stock size tires (185-70R40)

higher-mileage mods thus far:
no roof rack
34-35psi tire pressure (stock is 32)
side-gapped spark plugs
I think that's it

On a recent 350 mile drive I averaged 29 mpg, all highway. This is the EPA estimate for this car highway, but I was still totally stoked, as EPA estimates are usually inflated or too idealistic. Anyhow, I'm optimistic about maybe getting that higher. I look forward to spending more time on this board, and hopefully having some to contribute. Thanks.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome and enjoy.

I like the no roof rack.

Lots of great ideas from the other smart guys here.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome! A journey of a life time as at hand.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

Welcome, bay area guy. Hope you start to enjoy our little hobby of saving fuel. If you stick to it you will eventually find that it is no problem to acheive and exceed EPA ratings. They are deflated, not inflated, but they are performed in ideal conditions.

Your mileage is at the constant mercy of the elements, traffic, and you - the driver. It will vary day to day and tank to tank.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
*shrug*

Wait until dan (krousdb) gets back from vacation, he's hypermiled his subaru before, so he prolly has some interesting tips for you.

Welcome back!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Sweet. Yeah, I've been interested in fuel saving for some time now. I've owned two 86 toyota pickups and the one 87 4runner in the past four years, and have toyed with them off and on, basically to no avail. I was really just building crude devices and doing research, not expecting, or getting any actual results. I've done a lot of research on things like water injection, and even purchased some literature from George Wiseman of Eagle Research on things like his HyCO and other things.

Anyway, I guess you could say I've been introduced to a lot of these topics one way or another already, but I'm hoping to learn more and broaden my scope. I'm hoping the Subaru is easier to work with than my trucks were, but so far so good.

Thanks for the welcome!

« This is me | Hello »