Hi :) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Smile Hi :)

I'm new to the forum, of course.

I have a 95 chevy blazer (live in the mountains of WV) and looking for ideas on how to be more fuel efficient w/o selling.

Probably won't say much since I'm new to all this just looking around for ideas

Best,
ren

lilbirdblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

the best thing I have found was the scangauge though the cut off year is 1996. there were some models that used obd2 on 1995.

you may look into a stand alone MPG meter or just an old fashioned vacuum gauge.

other than that, cut your top speed down a bit and go no faster than speed limit. there is also the tires to maximum side wall pressure (not the door jam numbers). and you could play around with a grill block.

oh, and welcome to the site. conversation is a good thing. if you have questions, more than likely someone will be able to help you. we are pretty friendly for the most part. we don't tend to flame newbies here unless you are trying to sell something so join right in.

good to have you

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you BEEF....I'll look into the vacuum guage thing and see what I can do.

I did by a tire guage that checks the pressure, did it today and they seemed fine....by fine I mean what the guy at the tire center told me it should be. I'll look and see what I can find out about tire pressure here to see if recommended different.

I have reduced my speed and using Over-drive on the main roads. I'm also trying to be very aware of my foot on the gas....planning a head coasting and such AND going the speed limit

I did get some Berryman's fuel treatment and will add it to the tank next time I fill up.

I'm just trying to do a lot of little things to help b/c there seems to be no big or quick fix.

Thanks again
ren
Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Is your transmission automatic or manual?

On tire pressure:
- Minimum is the number printed on the label on the door jamb, visible when you open the door (unless your tires are a different size than stock).
- Maximum is the pressure molded into the sidewall rubber of the tire.
- The best pressure is the highest pressure that doesn't exceed the maximum and doesn't make your handling/ride/wear suffer.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

some people notice handling differences when increasing tire pressure but the combination of increased pressure and driving differently seems to cancel each other out.

just as an example. my car is recommended 32 (or maybe 34psi) my max is 51. I usually run around 45 just to give my tires expansion room when they get hot.

as far as a quick fix, there aren't any of those (not legitimate ones anyway). I joke around and say I doubled my mileage for about $2k but that was me buying the cavalier vs driving my truck all the time.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
BEEF, the maximum pressure is specified as cold pressure and includes margin for heat.

I have only noticed better handling from increased pressure but each vehicle/driver/road will be different.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Is your transmission automatic or manual?

On tire pressure:
- Minimum is the number printed on the label on the door jamb, visible when you open the door (unless your tires are a different size than stock).
- Maximum is the pressure molded into the sidewall rubber of the tire.
- The best pressure is the highest pressure that doesn't exceed the maximum and doesn't make your handling/ride/wear suffer.
My transmission is auto....and WOW! thanks for the info!

Been busy working and such and haven't had time to really get into this tire thing but great info....thanks!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

holycow,

my bad, guess I should have looked into it more. also, with my tire pressure up, I can feel the car shifting around with the passenger adjusting themselves. I don't really know if it did that before since I really didn't pay that much attention but it was a little unnerving the first time I noticed it.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

That would certainly be unnerving. You might want to do some experimentation and see how tire pressure affects that.