Hi! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi!

I'm new here... so just wanted to introduce myself... I'm a college student driving a 2007 Chevy HHR (manual)... I get about 32 MPG out of it on the highway w/o any mods (70-75 MPH)... but I'm wanting to get some more out. I'm starting to drive more efficiently (coasting, slower speeds) but was wondering if you guys have any "secrets" that you swear by? Let me know! I'm excited to see just how high I can get my mileage!

goman114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
AMX
Registered Member

Welcome to the site! I'm new here as well.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #3

Welcome! It's good to see two new members. The top few things I do personally are use neutral religiously (both vehicles are currently automatics, that is changing soon), neutral at stoplights in an automatic - most people don't do this, and keep the tires aired up.

Slowing your speed down to about 60-65 will do wonders for your MPG, and likely your pocketbook as the increase is MORE than paid for by the time you'd have to spend working to earn the extra, on most people's wages.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks! I found something called enivromax plus... has anyone here used it or heard of it? Here's the site address: http://www.extremerewardsusa.com/ I'm thinking about giving it a try... also... I ordered some magnets to put on my fuel line, just to try out. I'm extremely skeptical that they'll actually do anything, but they were only $5, so I figured why not find out for myself if what others are saying is true or not.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Welcome! Wow, a Chevy HHR!! What's the weight on that? 2-things that I've been doing to increase my FE is increasing the tire pressure and driving a little slower than usual w/o becoming a danger to other drivers. I'd have to admit that I use to have a tendency to push it on those nice, open straight-aways. I'm more FE minded now. Good luck and keep us updated on any mods to the HHR.
204snic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

Will do! Thanks for the advice... any thoughts on the Enviromax? Also... do fuel additives generally help older cars the most? Is it a waste of money on a car that has less than 5K miles on it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
VX trainee

Generally speaking, car additives simply take money out of your pocket and into the sellers pocket. The only auto additive I've EVER used is octane booster on my `65 Corvair, won't have to do that any more with the new pistons used when we rebuilt it.

The old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" rings true on many things, especially on car additives, magnets, etc. Save your money for more important things.

Driving habits will affect your FE more than anything else....learn to anticipate stoplights. as stated above, neutral should become an automatic reflex. I've been really working on this, and am doing much better on FE. I do a "dead stick" (power off) coast the last 1/2 mile going home, always try to keep my RPM between 1-2K when under power.
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks... yeah, I've been driving a lot more conservatively lately... and I think that will help alot!