Hi Board - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Board

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kevin and I'm from central Illinois. I just purchased a 2008 Hyundai Accent and will be driving it about 80 miles per day on the interstate. On my very first tank of gas, while observing break-in procedures suggested in the manual, I managed 33 mpg. Most of the mileage was in town stop and go. I'm pretty impressed with that all things considered.

BTW, Kuripot is Tagalog for CHEAP. LOL My wife is from The Philippines.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome. Manual or auto?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Manual
Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
EOC = engine off coasting
WOT = wide open throttle

There really ought to be a FAQ of all the Acronyms.
Welcome to the board.

Click on the "stripes" in my signature for an easy way to save the most fuel in one, single measure you can take. In other words, if you were to do only one thing to save fuel, this out of any other single measure you could take, would net you the greatest savings.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
On my drive into work today I was thinking of starting a thread to gather all the acronyms we use here.

The manual transmission gives you much more ability to hypermile, it's good that you chose it. For your in-town driving, you can start by just shifting lower and using a heavier foot. Generally it's best to use about 80% of the pedal and control your acceleration by shifting earlier. I shift my VW as low as 1200 rpm sometimes while waiting behind slow-accelerating traffic.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
On my drive into work today I was thinking of starting a thread to gather all the acronyms we use here.

The manual transmission gives you much more ability to hypermile, it's good that you chose it. For your in-town driving, you can start by just shifting lower and using a heavier foot. Generally it's best to use about 80% of the pedal and control your acceleration by shifting earlier. I shift my VW as low as 1200 rpm sometimes while waiting behind slow-accelerating traffic.

I'll be doing that after I break in the car right. They would like it kept between 2000 and 4000 rpm for the first 1200 miles and recommend not lugging the engine.