Hi From Topeka, KS - Another VX Owner! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-31-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi From Topeka, KS - Another VX Owner!

Hi Everyone!

I guess I've been dabbling with hypermiling techniques since I first added a CalCustom driving computer to my second car, a 1978 MGB in the early 80s.

Currently driving a 2007 Cobalt with stickshift and easily getting 26mpg in town and up to 37 on the highway. I was impressed when I got it that it had gas-saving features like electric steering and the onboard MPG display. But the new baby is a 1995 Honda VX. It has 215,000 miles, a dead clutch and a noisy gearbox and I have the tranny on the ground now. The gearbox has issues and I'm either going to locate another one or see if this one can be repaired. (got one?)

This VX is a 4-wire O2 Calif. emission setup and I'll be trying to sort through all the postings I've read on the internet about converting to a 49-state 5wire system. I think it's so sad that leanburn is disabled. But the previous owner said he still got 50mpg on the highway so it's still got a lot going for it.

The postings I've seen so far seem very abstract in nature. So far I've gleaned that I need to get a 49 state computer (got one?), a 5-wire O2 (got one?) and that all my wires needed to hook up are already located near the firewire in connectors. From there it gets a bit hazy when there is talk of buying or obtaining connectors and making adaptors to get the extra signals back to the ECU. I'm a fairly competent person when it comes to electronics - I used to design circuits in TTL logic. But I have yet to see a posting that really wraps up and simplifies the technique with pictures part numbers of any connectors needed. There are no emission checks in the state I live so I'm not worried about making it reversible. Or, is it possible to just find the engine part of the loom from a 49 state VX and plug things in and go? I'm guessing that part snakes back under the dash and it would be more complex to change.

Imagine if someone out there assembled the proper adaptor and sold them. I think there could be a few takers on that, although it may be illegal, so maybe not

Later!

Scott Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome!

I have spent a good amount of time in Topeka at the race track there, eating on Wannamaker. A steak or two at Baby Dolls...LOL! Does have fine food.