Hi I am Russell - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi I am Russell

I drive a s-10 with a 4.3 liter in it, I didn't realize when I brought it how poor of mpg it gets? I change my driving habits, car pool more and not drive as much.
I know to slow down and run with low rpm. I am wondering if a cool air filter could help? Or any other simple products that could help me increase mpg, thank you

roger2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Hi I am Russell

Welcome to the site.

Many members on this site have found that cold air actually hurts mpg. I have a scangauge, which can show intake air temperature. All other factors held constant (well, as close as I can get), I could see as much as a 2 mpg difference between 100-degree intake air and 40-degree intake air in my Civic Si. I have a short-ram intake, which is less restrictive, but does not supply much colder intake air than the stock intake. I noticed more power and similar mileage.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Generally, someone who is driving with a concern for fuel economy will be unable to notice or measure any result from an upgraded intake.

What year is your truck? Is it 2WD or 4WD?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

I would say to get a scangauge (or ultragauge) to show you your mileage in real time.

either of these can be found on the web with a simple google search. though I am a big fan of the scangauge, I will say the ultragauge is less than half the price of it at $60-$70. much cheaper than some of the CAIs I have seen around.

also, have you aired up the tires. there is a maximum sidewall pressure printed on the tire itself. it is usually much higher than the 32 or so the manufacturer of the car recommends. as long as you stay under the max sidewall pressure, you will be fine. you will probably be suprised what a difference this small modification will make and if you have an air compressor, it's free. costs me a quarter at my local convenience stor

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I would say to get a scangauge (or ultragauge) to show you your mileage in real time.

either of these can be found on the web with a simple google search. though I am a big fan of the scangauge, I will say the ultragauge is less than half the price of it at $60-$70. much cheaper than some of the CAIs I have seen around.

also, have you aired up the tires. there is a maximum sidewall pressure printed on the tire itself. it is usually much higher than the 32 or so the manufacturer of the car recommends. as long as you stay under the max sidewall pressure, you will be fine. you will probably be suprised what a difference this small modification will make and if you have an air compressor, it's free. costs me a quarter at my local convenience stor
We should probably mention that the Scangauge will only work if your truck is OBD II-compatible. This means 1996 and newer for most vehicles.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

my bad, you are right about that. I forget about that sometimes.

(the whole obd-2 and 1996 and newer thing)

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote