Hi um, I am brand new to hypermilling. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
Team GasMisers5!

If you stay here a while, you mileage will continue to go up! I used to drive a turbocharged car, and got about 54mpg (US) doing short town-based journeys (up from 20MPG stock).

Aerodynamic modifications will help your economy and also top-end speed (and acceleration at higher speeds too). Engine-off coasting can resut in huge savings but you have to be very careful with the power steering and brakes that lose the vacuum after 2-3 uses with the engine off.

I once drove at 90mph on winding Scottish roads, and got about 40mpg (US), simply due to having a wideband lambda sensor, and being used to engine-off coasting (I was attending an emergency call! But I wasn't going to excees 90 in a 60 limit, so just did engine off coasting anyway!)

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:25 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to CryingStreetRacer Send a message via Yahoo to CryingStreetRacer
Right now I am looking at a few cars as I am getting sick of my own, and it just got vandalized.
Volvo 960 sedans
Pontiac Fieros
And looking into honda civics. Can't find a VX for the life of me though. Checked ebay and autotrader. Maybe I am misunderstanding what a civic vx is. Never raced one!

Old 05-14-2008, 03:50 AM   #13

A Honda Civic of just about any sort would work for you, likely a 1992-2000 model. The VX is the "high MPG" model, basically, although many people swap in a more powerful motor for street racing. Look for a Honda Civic "station wagon" or hatchback. They can often be found for less than $2000 if you look hard, even less if you want to do body work. The VX is typically much more expensive and hard to find in great shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:H...c-DX-hatch.jpg

These vehicles are GREAT on gas and there are many racing events (legal even) for you to enjoy.

You may very well find that you enjoy saving gas so much you may eventually switch from racing to saving gas or hypermiling!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Pontiac Fieros? Good luck finding those. They're cool and I wouldn't mind having one, but they may not be practical for you for these reasons:
- It will attract WAY more attention than your Volvo, assuming equivalent visible modifications. This means more attention from cops, and it's easier to identify you another day when the cop saw you but didn't catch you, and probably more vandalism
- It will be old, since they haven't been made in so long
- Insurance may cost a LOT, I know it used to (and supposedly that's why they stopped making them)
- Old technology means bad FE and performance
- They are in very short supply; besides the original short supply and the people who want Fieros, they are very commonly used with kits for making imitations of exotic sports cars

Civics are hard to find and priced high because they are so popular. They retain lots of resale value which is bad for used car buyers.

Your idea of getting another Volvo is probably the best option for buying another car. If you don't mind my asking, to what extent was your current car vandalized, and why?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to CryingStreetRacer Send a message via Yahoo to CryingStreetRacer
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Pontiac Fieros? Good luck finding those. They're cool and I wouldn't mind having one, but they may not be practical for you for these reasons:
- It will attract WAY more attention than your Volvo, assuming equivalent visible modifications. This means more attention from cops, and it's easier to identify you another day when the cop saw you but didn't catch you, and probably more vandalism
- It will be old, since they haven't been made in so long
- Insurance may cost a LOT, I know it used to (and supposedly that's why they stopped making them)
- Old technology means bad FE and performance
- They are in very short supply; besides the original short supply and the people who want Fieros, they are very commonly used with kits for making imitations of exotic sports cars

Civics are hard to find and priced high because they are so popular. They retain lots of resale value which is bad for used car buyers.

Your idea of getting another Volvo is probably the best option for buying another car. If you don't mind my asking, to what extent was your current car vandalized, and why?
Ill upload pics asap, probably when I wake up today. I really don't know why honestly, I havn't raced anyone up here(I moved recently) and I don't know more than 10 people here and we are all on good terms!

Let's see...windshield is cracked(thank god it's still legal) left quarter piece and turn signal assembly is screwed up, needs to be bent out somewhat nice in the meantime and assembly reinserted... the hood is slightly off(this is just mostly a PITA situation) and my back left taillight is bashed in. looks like a bat or a medium weight sledge. I have no idea about the windshield crack though...maybe someone tried to punch it? although I must give kudos to them, I once had to break into my own car and that fu(ker just WOULDN't break! Even with a metal fencing post! Anyway, it's not BAD BAD but I was an idiot and skimped out on my coverage, plus, it happened in the night so no chance on getting the bastard(s) that did it...
Old 05-15-2008, 05:06 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Damn, that stinks!

One possible guess as to who might want to mess with your car: A local who is angry that some kid moved in and has been driving too fast on his street, and is too dumb to call the cops and have enforcement increased. That's if you're driving too fast for someone else's preference, even though you think it's a safe/legal/comfortable speed.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Damn, that stinks!

One possible guess as to who might want to mess with your car: A local who is angry that some kid moved in and has been driving too fast on his street, and is too dumb to call the cops and have enforcement increased. That's if you're driving too fast for someone else's preference, even though you think it's a safe/legal/comfortable speed.
I normally drive on the boarders between jurisdictions as often as possible, they are less patrolled.