hoping to be owner of a VX - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

I'm still searching for a VX, but I'm debating on purchasing a Insight. What are your guys thoughts on the Insight? As a FE its awesome, but they are selling for 2-3k above their KBB price. I'm thinking that this car can actually be a investment. in a year or two be worth 4-6k more? Or am I just trying to justify purchasing a 12k car instead of a 3k VX

xxraffyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
I'd honestly look into getting a VX or swapping another civic to a VX motor and trans...my VX paid for itself within a few months...literally what I had saved in gas covered what I paid for my VX...also with the VX you don't have to worry about batteries failing (aprox. $2K to repair in an insight) which I had read is fairly common with the insight, but in most cases Honda may cover the 1st replacement...Hondas hold there value extremely well but I don't see and insight being worht 4-6K more in a year or 2 unless you parked it in a garage and didn't drive it and gas prices sky rocket...maybe just my opinion but I'd rather buy a $3K car that gets 40-50mpg with out any special driving techniques than a $12k(a used car selling a few thousand over what its worth) that what gets 60mpg with normal driving techniques?

At least around here you could find a fairly clean civic coupe for $2K and swap it to a VX motor and trans for less than a $1K(if you paid a shop to install it even) seems like a much more reasonable option...

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
Registered Member

THANKS!
and check out this one I found

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/763342766.html I emailed the guy, my number any everything now all there is to do is cross my fingers and hope he calls.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
Registered Member

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/764045876.html

$1700 VX 200k had motor swap. current motor has about 150k, needs new shocks, had a valve job done not too long ago along with 02 change. let me know what you guys think ASAP. I dont want to lose out on a deal and want to make a offer with some of your guys opinion

Edit:
Also should I be worried that the for VX some claim they only get 30-35 MPG.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxraffyxx View Post
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/764045876.html

Edit:
Also should I be worried that the for VX some claim they only get 30-35 MPG.
I wouldn't worry too much, if it were me. If you don't know about lean burn and various other things that affect your milage, you won't do that great, or if you hot-rod around. Also, lots of people don't actually track MPG, so they just "guesstimate".
Old 07-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Registered Member

Whats holding me back is 350k miles on the body (150 on motor) I haven't seen the car, (about 2 hours from me) but he claims to run great no leaks,
Old 07-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
If you don't work on cars you shouldn't buy a VX or an HF. The amount of money you will pay for someone else to do the maintenance will outweigh the amount of money you save on gas. I say get an Insight if you can. I wouldn't mind having one.

VX's are great cars but at 13 to 16 years old and 200k miles; they need reconditioning.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #18
Registered Member

I can do minor repairs, My knowledge isn't very much, but I can learn(w/ help of repair manual). I've done a clutch+flywheel change on my current Civic, BUT I'd rather keep repairs simpler that was for me a pain in the butt.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxraffyxx View Post
Brand new, Just wanted to say hopefully sooner then later I will be a owner of a civic vx, maybe a crx hf. just soooo hard to come by. I'm thinking about buying a shell and the vx engine, but was told to stay away from that any suggestions?
they are out there...

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/765491995.html

if only for a day...
mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #20
Registered Member

thanks I was tempted to go up to portland. just that place is 9 hours from me and its very hard for me to make a purchase on something before driving it.

« Hello all! | Hi. »