How to get 50MPG - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

How to get 50MPG

l'm happy to join this forum and learn how to get 50MPG because Gas prices are high now and we cannot park our cars and walk all the distance.

Maxkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Welcome to the group! Fantastic bunch of helpful people here! Feel free to poke around and ask questions. There is a great thread with some basic info here.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

The best way to get high MPG in any car is to move the vehicle with very little engine usage. It is difficult, even for my 3 cylinder Geo Metro, to get consistently over 50mpg.

I started by eliminating any idling. I start the car and drive away immediately. No 'warming up' the car or leaving the engine running to fetch something from a building, etc.

Then I started driving in 5th gear at speeds of 30mph or higher. The difference between driving in 3rd compared to 5th is a matter of getting a steady 50mpg, or 75mpg+.

Next, I tried turning off my engine when I had long coasts. Downhills or approaching stoplights the engine was always shut off. This is easy with my car because it doesn't have power steering. I also developed a knack of using the clutch and the Geo's movement to restart the car instead of the starter.

Then I got my Scangauge II. That REALLY opened up my eyes to how my vehicle's MPG reacts in every sort of driving situation. It's definitely worth the investment.

I've also dwelled in the aerodynamic modifications too. I removed my side mirrors and I'm even running on compact spare tires in the rear.

Then I started P&G, aka 'pulse and glide, or burn and coast technique. I got into the 60+ mpg mark briefly, but it's a tiresome technique, and can't feasibly be used on the highway (at least with my car).

And, as always, the choice of vehicle makes all the difference. I really don't see why anyone needs more than 4 cylinders these days of $4+ gas. For those of you that haul things occasionally, just rent a truck for that day. It's a lot cheaper than driving a guzzler all year 'round.

I've spent almost $1,800 on gas for my Geo since I bought it last August. That would most likely be over $6,000 spent if I drove the same amount with my previous car: a V8 Ford Thunderbird.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

hi

crazy to see that anyone can get over 30 mpg i knew of ppl doing it with the old geo's. hopefully this site will help me get more then 15-20 mpg with the car i have now.
od_satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Looks like od_satan is an old Pontiac Bonnieville - I used to get 18mpg with my Dad's 1966?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Looks like od_satan is an old Pontiac Bonnieville - I used to get 18mpg with my Dad's 1966?
its actually a 1969 lincoln continental 7.5L v8 4barrel/dualies just started to restore it bought it for 4300 less than a month ago. yah i was suprised on the mpg using unleaded, made me kind of mad after i bought it my dad told me he just sold a 64".
Old 06-01-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
Team GasMisers5!

7.5l - that means that each cylinder is almost 1 litre, the same as the entire Geo Metro / Suzuki Swift engine

Driving technique will probably make a big difference on the car - is it manual or auto?.

Maxkin : Tell us about your car - what is it, age, manual or auto transmission? - What MPG do you get just now? How fast do you go on highways etc?

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

Automatic lol but the way its running its like driving manual have to let it down shift but im in the process of replacing allot of stuff in it.