Howdy folks.. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Howdy folks..

Fumesucker here, so named because I'm suckin' fumes right now..

We have a 94 Nissan Altima with a 5 speed, an 89 FZR400 crotch rocket and an 87 Ranger 2.3 with a 5 speed.. The Ranger is currently hors de combat with a thrown rod and I'm getting another engine for it as soon as I can afford it.

Looking for better mileage.. DOH!

I'm near Atlanta and the gas prices are killing our budget.

Lots of interesting stuff on this forum and since I'm an old hot rodder, sports car and motorcycle enthusiast I hope I will be able to make a meaningful contribution.

For the FZR, I'm considering what is know as a "dustbin fairing", a type of motorcycle fairing that was banned from racing in 1958.. A dustbin fairing is far more aerodynamically efficient than even the best of modern crotch rockets.. The pic below is one of only two street type dustbin fairing pics I have been able to find online.. Since my FZR will already get over 60 mpg if I ride it gently, 100 mpg is not out of the question with a dustbin fairing..

The most economical car I have ever had was a 62 Lotus Elite with a 1.0 Coventry Climax SOHC engine with two SU carbs on it.. The Elite was Colin Chapman's first real exercise in his mantra for sports car performance "just add lightness"..

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #2

Welcome!
I LOVE the lotus you once had! It seems pretty areodynamic. too bad nobody makes a sports car like they used to. I wish you could buy something that tiny with a small engine today.
Small cars like that must be so much more fun than big-powered cars. You get so much more road feel and better handling. On the British TV show "Top Gear" they raced a turbo elise against a mustang and the elise beat it easily. Check it out on youtube.
Jeremy B

jbmorse02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Once you got set up in a corner, you could steer the Lotus with the gas pedal, particularly in the wet. More gas, more oversteer.. Extremely neutral handling.

Yes, it was a fun car! The entire car was fiberglass, with a front engine.. I could literally pick the front of the car right off the ground.. I doubt it weighed even a thousand pounds..

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:33 AM   #4
Out of Fuel

Hi, I happened to see the topic. This is what I was looking for
Desy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Out of Fuel

Hi, I happened to see the topic. This is what I was looking for
192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.1 login admin
Desy151 is offline   Reply With Quote