Hummer H2 - How Can I Get Better MPG & Reduce Emissions? - Page 10 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #91
Registered Member

Easiest way to hook up a lockup light would be to find the wire that the computer uses to command lockup. Install a relay, using the lockup initiating wire as the control wire. Use a normally open relay for this. Hook up a light on the powered end of the relay. When the computer commands lockup, it'll energize the relay, which will close the powered end, which will light the light. You'll need a good wiring diagram (not a Haynes manual) to find the correct wire for this.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #92
kps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerH2 View Post
I have found somenthing very interesting. Using Shell vs. any other gasoline makes me improve MPG.

Does this make sense at all?
What can happen is that since different pumps click off at different points, one tank is more full than the other and affects the apparent mileage of both tanks. I've seen this with different locations of the same brand. To avoid this, fill up twice in a row at the same pump.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:55 AM   #93
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps View Post
What can happen is that since different pumps click off at different points, one tank is more full than the other and affects the apparent mileage of both tanks. I've seen this with different locations of the same brand. To avoid this, fill up twice in a row at the same pump.
Also one pump could be E10 and one not. Some cars don't get as good of mileage on E10. How big an improvement of FE?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #94
Team GasMisers5!

Hummer H2

Congratulations on your gas-saving - it sounds like you have been doing a lot of gas-saving, what with the car-pooling and your wife using the car with efficient planning of journeys

And on top of all that you have now started to do hypermiling - that is really good!.

In the UK, my car gets worse mileage than most newer petrol cars - but now I'm getting close to / above a Toyota Prius mileage (if driven normally). I'm sure you can save a lot of gas in the Hummer - if you get 20MPG, that will be the same as many much smaller cars!

Monitoring your fuel economy
----------------------------

(1) Use the instant fuel economy gauge to track your driving habits and change them 'on the fly'.

(2) For the gaslog - note the odometer mileage, and fill up the the brim. After this, wait till you have used at least half a tank, then fill up again. Note the difference in mileage, then just say MPG = miles/gallons, and that will give you the true MPG. Put the figures (of gallons used, and miles driven) into your gaslog - then you can see what difference your changes have made.

Every time you fill, it will 'click' off at a different level. This introduces random error, but this gets less if you wait longer before refilling so you can get more fuel in.

Aim for 20MPG - it will be possible but difficult. In your car, aerodynamics will make a big difference, so remove the roofrack if not in use, and consider 'normal' rather than off-road tyres. Increasing the inflation in your tyres will also help, although be careful that you don't disturb the handling, as you don't want to put your wife in danger. Also, don't inflate them over the PSI limit, or they might fail.

If your fuel economy gauge only shows an 'average' rather than instant, then get a SuperMID (or Scangauge if you have an OBD-II port, which you should). Instant MPG, got my mileage from 42mpg TO 52mpg on the first tank . And my car is rated at 22mpg.

Good luck, welcome to gassavers, and enjoy your stay (and please don't feel pushed away by the anti-hummer comments - as said above, if you sell it, it will just go to someone who probably gets 8mpg anyway, and also drives it a lot more than you (or your wife) do.

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 AM   #95
Team GasMisers5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerH2 View Post
I have found somenthing very interesting. Using Shell vs. any other gasoline makes me improve MPG.

Does this make sense at all?
I don't know if it makes sense, but my mileage jumped considerably when I changed to Shell (I use the cheap stuff from shell (95RON), in my car it gave no difference to the expensive stuff from Shell (98RON). Note that our octance numbers look higher than US ones, I don't know the exact conversion.

E.g. I used to drive at 70MPH, and got 240-280max miles to a tank, less if I drove faster Putting in shell, I got 360 miles to a tank, no matter how badly I drive (even if I did a constant 75MPH rather than 70MPH). Hypermiling is now bringing that closer to 600miles per tank - but I never fill up with anything other than Shell these days.

The way I look at it is, Shell is good. Others are probably good too. Others are bad. I know that Shell is good, the price is the same as the others, so I just stick with them

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #96
Registered Member

Hey man forget what everyone else says, I have a h3 hummer alpha and I love it to the fulliest. People buy hummers becuase thats what they want, like, or need just like any other vehicle. So to everyone if you dont like em tough cookie stick to what you do, and for those who do love em well keep on trucking. Dont let random people dictate your life what ever makes you happy and is not illegal enjoy it and screw everyone else people will always put there personal thoughts about what cars they think is fine on others. Hummer drivers represent a unique set of people who are willig to step out and not be just a another one of societys copie cat followers.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #97
Registered Member

Good job resurrecting a 6 yr old post. If you want better gas mileage from a Hummer then don't drive it.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #98
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3 mantexas View Post
Hey man forget what everyone else says, I have a h3 hummer alpha and I love it to the fulliest. People buy hummers becuase thats what they want, like, or need just like any other vehicle. So to everyone if you dont like em tough cookie stick to what you do, and for those who do love em well keep on trucking. Dont let random people dictate your life what ever makes you happy and is not illegal enjoy it and screw everyone else people will always put there personal thoughts about what cars they think is fine on others. Hummer drivers represent a unique set of people who are willig to step out and not be just a another one of societys copie cat followers.
I wish I could take the time to count the grammatical errors in this rant....

Hey, do those things really have road rage as standard equipment, or is that just the H2?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #99
Registered Member

indeed

Well count them all you want if that makes you feel better about yourself but the fact is this, broke people wine about what they cant afford which you obviously are. As for those who can, we enjoy life so if you dont like the road rage then go to counseling and stay off the freeways. I dont mine the MPG becuase I have plenty of money to put in it.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #100
Registered Member

And for the smart guy that made the 6 yr old post comment remember you replied to it as well tisk tisk.

Closed Thread