Hummer H2 - How Can I Get Better MPG & Reduce Emissions? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #51
Supporting Member

I too, agree that marked hostility is no way to change a person's mind. The simple fact that he posted in a gas saving forum about an H2 is saying that he's already putting alot of thought into his plight.

I don't think the belly pan is going to help. I don't think the belly will work. There is too much suspension travel and too much body flex. My saturn pops and moans when being lifted. The paltry amount of suspension travel it has caused no small amount of difficulty when installing the belly pan. Maybe remove the roof rack. Install airtabs and front air dam.

The best thing you can do is a driver mod. Slow down for now and sell it off.
Good luck to you.

As for people endangering others with large trucks. Its there right. If they want to pay for it, let them. We live in a free country thanks to our God fearing fore fathers. I hope that in a few years I'll have enough kids to need a surburban. Of course I already have a diesel swap planned.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #52
*shrug*

I think something we should all consider is whether we are judging our friends too harsh here. Certainly, if you have something in common but not exactly with someone else, you want them to feel more like you where you might disregard someone who completely disagrees, but I think we should appreciate everyone taking steps and perhaps our good attitude and awesome FE will inspire some people to make progressively bigger changes!

Welcome bodysnatcher!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #53
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0dysnatcher View Post
I to am an owner of a Hummer(H3) and i am getting about 17.
5 MPG which is not bad. It sure is a lot better than the 13.3 i was getting in my 2003 suburban. I feel if you can afford the H2 you shoud not have to worry about the POG no matter how hi the POG is. It suprises me that the dealer has no diesel for the H2 or H3 this would help the milage on an H2 tremendously. The Military has them in there H1.why not put it in there H2,and H3's.

Bodysnatcher
Welcome to the site bodysnatcher

I thought GM offered a Duramax for the H2?

A belly pan might help some. From how I've seen an H2 perform at Hollister, they don't flex much. Worst case, he could cover up the engine bay, tranny and t-case area somewhat.

Could be crazy but I wonder if he could retrofit one of GMs displacement on demand systems to the block? Probably the biggest gains would be had with that
Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #54
Registered Member

Thanks to all of you for your replies!

I actually do not drive and have not driven a car in 3 years. We only own 1 car and I take a ride with a coworker that lives next door. This leaves only my wife using the car and her strategy is to do all her errands at one time instead of using the car every day to do each errand on multiple drives.

She now needs to learn how to drive efficientlly. I will take care of that by using the tips everyone have provided here and showing her. I have printed all of your responses and links so she can learn new driving habits and make the most use of the tips.

I will find the tire information for those of you who have ask and given tips. They are the tires that come with the H2 but I do not know the scpecs. I will post it once I am able to look at the car when I get home.

I appreciate all of your feedback and will put it in use!

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #55
Registered Member

so is the article that has been going around for the past couple months true about the battery nickel that goes in to the hybrid toyota thing prius i dunno doesn't the company that makes that battery cause so much waste to go into the enviroment that nothing can live within a certain raduis of the plant and also that it was less hurtful to the environment to buy and drive a h2 hummer for 10 years than to purchase a prius just wondering if this is true??????
Old 06-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon64 View Post
so is the article that has been going around for the past couple months true about the battery nickel that goes in to the hybrid toyota thing prius i dunno doesn't the company that makes that battery cause so much waste to go into the enviroment that nothing can live within a certain raduis of the plant and also that it was less hurtful to the environment to buy and drive a h2 hummer for 10 years than to purchase a prius just wondering if this is true??????
Wow , thats a long sentence !

Had to do search for info
(Yes anything that man produces is potentially harmful to the earth .)
The battery-pack is harmful to the environment.

NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) is a benign substance. It can be recycled too. In fact, the guarantee for recycling is rather high, since nickel is a valuable metal. Misconceptions about rechargeable batteries stem from the obsolete NiCd (Nickel Cadmium) technology, which really was harmful.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:03 AM   #57
*shrug*

Quote:
That floats around but I don't think many people believe it is true.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:17 AM   #58
Registered Member

Quote:
Thats been brought up several times before. Here's a link. Or there is also a very good search engine at the top of the page that says "search the forums" that can help you to find topics and threads on stuff. Welcome to the site and nice garage.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #59
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0dysnatcher View Post
It suprises me that the dealer has no diesel for the H2 or H3 this would help the milage on an H2 tremendously. The Military has them in there H1, why not put it in there H2,and H3's.
Well b0dysnatcher, it is simple, the H2 and H3 are NOT HUMMERS. Yes, you read that right, they are re-bodied GMC Trucks. They are not even remotely related to the Humvee.

As to all the arguing going back and forth... heck, I can't remember who said it, but I too am grateful that new people are coming here to learn. I would much rather have a Hummer driver who wants to learn about FE than one who couldn't care less.

When I found this site, I was switching cars. I was about to buy a Suzuki XL-7 4x4. I have 3 kids, a girlfriend, and would like something that can handle the snow we get up here. I ended up with a 40MPG Saturn instead. And it had no issue with the snow.

I chose better because I educated myself. Let the Hummer guy educate himself.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #60
Registered Member

OK, Here is the tire info:
TT I Guard 3 Ply Side Wall
All Terrain T/A Radial LT 215/70
50 psi

Now for what we have all been waiting:

City:
Before joining this forum I was getting 10.1 mpg
After going through the tips with my wife we started getting 13.1 mpg
After increasing the tire pressure (pressure was 40 psi from dealer) I increased it to 45 psi the mpg went to 15.2 mpg. This is 50.5% increase in gas milage in just 2 days. My wife still has to learn more how to drive using all your tips but this can give us an idea of how much it can improve.

I have not tried Highway mpg as I live in a small town and cannot take highway to go to work. I will try mpg in Highway during weekend.

This brings me to a good point and that is, although a Hummer H2 cannot achieve 82 mpg, we can help other H2 drivers to join the forum and learn the tips so they can improve their gas milage. Hummers will not go away so why not improve gas milage on as many H2's as we can.

Any thoughts?

Closed Thread