Hummer H2 - How Can I Get Better MPG & Reduce Emissions? - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I think GM quotes 13.
GM has never actually given an official estimate since they have never needed to get it tested, nor do they have to meet SUV emissions regulations because it weighs over 6k pounds and is classified as a truck (the same as a semi).

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Although General Motors does not provide official H2 fuel economy ratings on the petrol engine it comes with [2], most reviews have observed high single to low double-digit mileage.

Forbes notes "H2 gets a paltry 13 mpg on the highway and 10 mpg in the city" [3] Motortrend observed 12 mpg. [4] Car and Driver observed 10 mpg. [5] A reviewer at about.com got 8.6 mpg. [6] Edmunds observed 9.2 mpg. [7] Four Wheeler magazine observed 10.8 mpg in their final long term report of a H2 SUT. Their worst tank was 7.2 mpg and best tank was 15.3 mpg. [8] Consumer Guide observed 10.7 mpg, even with mostly highway driving. [9] Automobile Magazine averaged less than 10 mpg. [10] US News observed 9.5 mpg according to its trip computer. [11] Cars.com observed 11.4 mpg according to its trip computer in mostly highway driving. [12] Car and Driver notes that the 2008 H2 is more efficient than previous models and will get 11.5 mpg. [13]

Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #72
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
repete86 is correct, the H2 is in the same class as tow trucks, dump trucks, trucks with cherry pickers, and any other vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of over 6,000 pounds, regular pickup tricks are what would be called "light duty" trucks, half and 3/4 ton trucks, and some one ton trucks because they are what an average person who has a small buissness, or a farm might commenly use, so those light duty trucks have looser regulations both for emisions, and safty then a passenger car, heavy trucks, like semi's, dump trucks, and the H2 have very little regulation for emisions, fuel mileage, or safty, so because of that fuel mileage excemption they don't put a window sticker on to tell you what you can expect, just like when you go to buy a dump truck they don't tell you what kind of mileage you should exspect, after all how would you do that? empty? fully loaded? on a gravle road going 10mph? it's designed for doing work.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #73
Registered Member

Oh yeah, and I also forgot to mention that since it's a 'truck,' it is gas-guzzler exempt, doesn't get included in GM's CAFE, and qualifies for some massive tax breaks that peaked a few years ago at $102,000.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #74
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I keep seeing add's for dump trucks, I'm thinking this might be the perfect vehicle for me, I really like the tuff look, and every once in a while I like to haul some potting soil, I think I would also feel really safe in a dump truck, anyone have any sugestions on how to make sure I get the best mileage from that?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:39 AM   #75
Registered Member

You guys keep dissing the H2, but....

In all actuality, it's not that bad. My dad's Chevy Silverado 1500 only gets 13 - 15 mpg, and our '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee only got 13/20, so really it's not that much worse. Considering its staggering size I'm surprised it's not closer to 5 mpg.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:14 AM   #76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicradish View Post
You guys keep dissing the H2, but....

In all actuality, it's not that bad. My dad's Chevy Silverado 1500 only gets 13 - 15 mpg, and our '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee only got 13/20, so really it's not that much worse. Considering its staggering size I'm surprised it's not closer to 5 mpg.
Yea i don't get it. You drive what you drive. The guys wife just improved the H2 mileage by 50% and he has not even been here a week. Here's some one with one car, carpools to work and is teaching his wife how to hypermile, and she doing a heck of a job. Proves you can hypermile anything with applied effort. He probably burns less gas than most of the people here even though it's 15 and climbing. I think you need to loosen those Halo's up a bit. I'm impressed with the the effort from the whole family. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:17 AM   #77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I keep seeing add's for dump trucks, I'm thinking this might be the perfect vehicle for me, I really like the tuff look, and every once in a while I like to haul some potting soil, I think I would also feel really safe in a dump truck, anyone have any sugestions on how to make sure I get the best mileage from that?
Bed cover and belly pan, and don't use the A/C. :-)
Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 AM   #78
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Yea i don't get it. You drive what you drive. The guys wife just improved the H2 mileage by 50% and he has not even been here a week. Here's some one with one car, carpools to work and is teaching his wife how to hypermile, and she doing a heck of a job. Proves you can hypermile anything with applied effort. He probably burns less gas than most of the people here even though it's 15 and climbing. I think you need to loosen those Halo's up a bit. I'm impressed with the the effort from the whole family. Keep up the good work.
Agreed. So does that mean I can average in my estimated 700mpg equivalent energy miles from riding my bike with the average daily fuel economy of our Mazda5?

Hmm . . 5.5 miles x 700 mpg
plus 20 miles x 27mpg
divided by 25.5 miles
equals 172 MPG!

I kick ***!!!

I think, therefore I doubt.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:05 AM   #79
Registered Member

For the Hummer, I'm pretty sure it comes with a clutch fan. Look up an electric fan conversion, can boost mileage by 2MPG or more with no other changes.

Burning SUVs dealers is good? The only thing it does is cause pollution. The dealer doesn't lose money because his cars are insured against damage, and that loss is spread across everyone, so everyone got a dollar a year increase in their rates that they wouldn't have. Plus, burning put a lot of dangerous chemicals into the atmosphere, plus the added pollution caused by rebuilding. Then the damaged vehicles caused pollution as they burned, and there was pollution caused by their manufacture. The vehicles will be replaced, meaning the manufacturer just made however many more vehicles than they intended. Since the more they make the cheaper they are per unit, the manufacturer just made more money off the SUVs.

So far as the DoD goes, it is cast into the block. The system uses computer controlled valving to control oil pressure, which closes off the valves on the unused cylinders while at the same time cutting fuel flow. Mileage is said to increase 10 percent using this system, but I can see long term problems with this when the wrong oil is used, sludge builds up, weak oil pump over time, any of which might cause it to not put all cylinders off, or just partially shut down the valving. Definitely not worth it.

So, you are applauding an increase in pollution, and applauding improving the incentives for the manufacturer to build more SUVs by causing them to make more money, and applauding the dealer's getting an enforced vacation along with a new lot and new dealer building, but would not have changed any behaviour for the good. This is worth cheers? A better way would be to damage the vehicles in a way that they will be seen as unreliable, but not in a way that the dealer can get an insurance claim on them. Valve grinding compound in the oil, shavings in the differential, a winch to pull corners together until the frame bends a bit (ruins handling, causes all sorts of problems), bend the brake line support so the tire makes contact with the flex line, loosen various bolts (loosen the body support bolts and it'll squeak like mad), ect. You want the public to stop buying them, not cause damage that makes it look to the maker like they are more popular. Burning them only makes the group doing the burning look bad.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 AM   #80
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Sorry, didn't read through all the pages of notes...

My dad has a 2005 H2 SUT which looks like the regular hummers but has a truck bed. The only thing he has done to it so far is the spare tire/bracket delete (im guessing 150 pounds or more of weight) and bigger aftermarket wheels and tires that it came with. Car gets 10mpg no matter what. It has a digital mpg guage and the most ive ever seen it change was from 10.3 to 10.7

Personally, why have a car that retails at 70k that will put you further into debt, but hey, thats his choice. My car gets 50mpg.

Your pretty much screwed though, youll never see even decent mpg unless you cut off about 3000 pounds..