I found my VX!!! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

I found my VX!!!

Hello everyone,

I'm a sorta new member here (never officially introduced myself), been looking for a VX since the beginning of the year. I discovered hypermilling while I owned a '89 CRX HF. I've been searching high and low for the last 5 1/2 months for a clean, stock VX. I had several literally slip through my fingers at the last moment (one while I was on my way to go pick it up - ouch). Well I finally picked one up! It's a Teal '92, all stock, Federal version, just the way I wanted it. I found it in Colorado and had it shipped to California. Paid asking price of $3200.

I went to get it smogged but it failed due to high HC at 2500 rpm. CO and NOx values were very low. What could be the problem? I'm hoping changing the spark plugs and wires will take care of the problem. Should I change the distributor caps and rotors too? Ignition coil?

I searched around a bit and it looks like NGK wires and plugs are recommended. Any recommendations on what kind of caps and rotors I should get?

I haven't been able to determine my baseline mileage yet because I don't have plates yet, and I can't register the car until I pass smog. I'm sure my mileage will go up after I fix the problem. Eventually I will ditch the 185 width tires and get some LRR tires. Looking forward to improving my mileage!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0758.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1109  

roadsterbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Congrats, enjoy the car. I have to get mine smogged too, so i can change the personal plates it has on there from the original owner.

DD is a 1993 Civic Si Hatchback
92VXHatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

Congrats on finally finding a VX. You definitely will appreciate the gas mileage. It looks really clean. Good find! After the necessary tune up you should pass the smog test. I know since you're in Ca, the emissions are stricter and you have a non Ca VX, but keep us up to date.
smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #4

Congrats! You may try putting Guaranteed To Pass or similar in the gas tank to get it smogged, then deal with the underlying issue after that.

Here's a link that may help:
http://www.firstfives.org/faq/smog/smog_faq.html

I recommend the "warm it up really good" part. May have to Seafoam the fuel system & engine to get the HC down. Basically a lot of carbon in the system, clean it out, then use Guaranteed To Pass or similar, really warm engine & catalytic converter - should pass if it's just HC issue.

NGK are recommended, especially if they are indexed. Indexing uses thin washers to get the spark plug to point in a specific direction, giving more complete combustion.

Keep us updated on your progress!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

hello
your problem is you have a federal ecu pluged in
in california a federal ecu WILL not pass smog because of lean burn.
try a califfornia ecu with out lean burn and you should pass with flying colors
the hard part will be finding the cu

SHWINN MOUNTAIN BIKE
GAS SAVER FAT BURNER

TOTAL MILES DISPLACED BY SHWIIN ON THE WAY TO WORK. 45 TOTAL MILES
mkiVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Welcome aboard! And congrats on the hard work paying off and finding a VX. Check the info in my signature for the spark plugs and a general tune and you should be able to pass smog. There are other members in CA with non-CA VXs that have passed smog just fine. The seafoam treatment should help as well.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Congrats. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for one, as well, but haven't found one.

I have a question for you, though. Do you happen to know the "name" of the wheels on your new VX? Either the 'official' Honda name or the typical name people call them? I've seen them on several cars and they seem like a less-expensive version of some HFP wheels I've been looking at getting for my Integra.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

High HC is generally unburned fuel, which would correspond with lower CO and NOX.

regards
gary
Old 05-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiVX View Post
your problem is you have a federal ecu pluged in
in california a federal ecu WILL not pass smog because of lean burn.
try a califfornia ecu with out lean burn and you should pass with flying colors
the hard part will be finding the cu
I don't think that's it. Lean burn generally leads to high NOx. But that's not his problem. His NOx is low.

Also, I think CA does not require a used car from elsewhere to meet CA standards.
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #10
Registered Member

Many of my customers were military, one of them had a 75 280Z that wasn't in very good shape, but he didn't want to sell it, burned a quart of oil in 500 miles.
He was being transferred to California, but the car was Federal, California had a cat that year, Federal did not. I advised him to sell the car, because it wouldn't pass Cal Emissions when it was new. In Sept 1980 Nissan started making all the Z's Cal emission.
We tuned it and set the AFM for best emissions, totally guessing since there are no tailpipe tests here.

He called sometime later and told me the car had passed Cal emissions, and thanked me for my successful efforts on his behalf.

regards
gary