Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
Supporting Member

LOVE the grill block one of the best ive ever seen

Old 02-01-2007, 06:17 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Are those scion tc rims?
yes, but they dont just bolt up, I had to mill out the hubs a couple millimeters

Quote:
Could you give a link to your cardomain page?
www.cardomain.com/id/hotroddr

Quote:
Hey man. Those are some impressive improvements to fuel efficiency you have posted. Did you do anything besides aeromods to attain them?
Synthetic 5w-30 oil, driving habits and no ac for the best results. Its not always easy to do the last one here in phoenix az. Thats about it though.

Quote:
I am going to school for Mechanical Engineering, with plans to get a Masters in Automotive Engineering, does that make me a nerd?
Sounds like you have about the same goal as me. What do you want to do after school? Any particular areas of automotive engineering that you are interested in? For me its suspension and aerodynamics. I think to most of the population we could be considered nerds. I take this as a compliment.

Unfortunately the rabbit seems to have developed a head gasket sealing problem so I will be tearing it down in the next week or so. I plan on cleaning/porting the intake and exhaust manifolds a little as long as its all apart to hopefully gain some mpgs from better airflow to and from the engine. While I dont generally enjoy mechanical problems like this, it will give me the chance to make improvements where I otherwise wouldnt have been able to justify them. Last tank I got 43 mpg mixed city and highway with a fairly heavy foot so we will see what the headgasket and porting might net me in gains.

hotroddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #13
Registered Member

If you gan get/borrow the tool for dismantling the head, you would be very well served by porting it as well. the old IDI heads really benefit from porting as the casting is a bit crude. You can also do a quick valve lap (or get a grind done) and you'll have new valve stem seals as well. I wouldn't even consider not doing this once the head is off. It'll take you half a day, maybe a little more, but it's well worth it.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 AM   #14
Registered Member

Any more specific info or a link to more info on what benefits the IDI diesel head in terms of porting? I would like to do this all as long as its apart since it will be hard to justify tearing it down later when its running well. My extra car is for sale now but I am driving it till the rabbit is back up, I might not have an extra car later.
hotroddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
Registered Member

It'll help out with flow, so if you have the smoke screw turned up you may see some more power at WOI (Wide Open Injector ), but in terms of economy, I don't think it'll do much. In fact, VW added a something to get the air "swirling" around in later TD heads, so a real straight shot in the intake may be bad for lower load combustion efficiency, or it may not. Try it and report back!

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote