It's all about the MPG... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #1

ame is Matt Todhunter, most people call me Dax though. I'm a senior [soon to graduate, woohoo!] mechanical engineering student at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and also a welding student at a local technical school. I work for a small biom

Hello. My name is Matt Todhunter, most people call me Dax though.

I'm a senior [soon to graduate, woohoo!] mechanical engineering student at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and also a welding student at a local technical school. I work for a small biomedical company in Atlanta, GA as a draftsman [http://www.salumedica.com], but I also handle a lot of manufacturing work too.

I currently own three Honda Civics...a 1988 hatch, 1990 sedan, and 1992 hatch [trying to sell]. The 92 Civic was my previous 'fun car' and the 88 will soon take over that role.

My 1990 is my daily driver, with just over 236,000 on the odometer. This car is the DX model, with a 1.5L SOHC engine with dual point injection. It is currently an automatic, and I currently get about 30 MPG [360 miles / 12 gallon tank]. I have been interested in alternative fuels for quite some time, but propane just doesn't seem as glorious once you see what all goes into it, and I don't have a diesel, so biofuel is not an option. My plan with the 1990 Civic is to convert to a manual gear box and install a CRX HF transmission. I hope to learn a lot from this board and take further steps to get the most mileage out of my Civic. I also have a Hondata S200 collecting dust in my closet, and may eventually convert the car to multi point injection and OBD-1, then run the S200 to tune the ECU for better mileage.

I hope to learn and contribute much here!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Driving on E

Hey Dax, Welcome to the

Hey Dax,

Welcome to the forum.

I own a 89 Civic Sedan, so we're pretty much in the same boat with what we have.

The first thing you need to do is ditch the DPFI, but you already know that. DPFI is horrible and cannot be tuned. Lucky for us it's an easy swap. Diemaster on this forum recently swapped DPFI->MPFI on his 1990 Civic Sedan (automatic as well).

I think that the HF gearbox will yield around 10mpg improvement with the proper driving techniques.

My plans are to swap in a d15z1 engine with HF gearbox into my sedan. I'm hoping for around 50mpg+ when I'm all done. Unfortunately the d15z1 has different wiring than the other obd1 ECUs, so I'm on my own making a custom conversion harness.

I'd be interested in learning more about hondata and how to tune for efficiency once I get my obd1 swap all complete.

Until then, welcome and enjoy yourself

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
*shrug*

Damnit, I just pmed you on

Damnit, I just pmed you on honda-tech, I suck...

In any case, yeah, do that stuff up top, you're getting crap on your b2 though, there might be something wrong going on there. Good luck on your swap, I'm going to be using your post on pedals as my guide when I do that (hopefully soon).

Welcome!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote