Joing the TDI club, new Jetta owner - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #1

Joing the TDI club, new Jetta owner

I am of course new to this site but have been lurking for a little bit. I am in the process of buying a new 2012 Jetta TDI premium. should have it in about 7 days or so. wanted the black on black but that became too hard to get. so, I am getting a metallic gray on black 6 spd premium.

i currently drive a 2001 bmw 525i automatic. not really a gas saver but I am doing better than EPA by using some simple techniques. those are being gentle on the right foot and coasting down hills in neutral. if the hill is steep, i leave in gear to keep from going ballistic, but on long hills that are not too steep, i just coast in neutral. I don't really like pulse and glide as I don't like slowing down below speed limit. I drive 115miles each day on my commute and want to maintain general speed limit or above. so, I wanted to get a higher MPG vehicle. the beemer is getting 28-29mpg now with summer fuel. it will go down 2 mpg or more in winter time. epa has highway at just 25mpg. i have some decent hills to get through on the way to work with about 1200 foot elevation changes.

during my test drive with a jetta tdi, i got 45mpg for a 20 mile loop. that was also starting with a 20mpg average as i pulled out of the loop. I believe that with my commute, i should see 50mpg regularly.

cheers,
JB

jbdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Joing the TDI club, new Jetta owner

Welcome!

A Jetta TDI with a manual transmission (you didn't mean the 6 speed auto/DSG, did you?) is probably a fuel economy win even if you don't try. I can't wait to see your results.