...just bought a VX - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccall View Post
Hey garyhgaryh, I have a red Cal Fed VX too. TomO has explained a way to convert ours to achieve Lean Burn. Do you plan on making this change as well? What all have you done to yours to get mid 50's?
I've done nothing to my car. I bought it off a teacher and it was well taken care of.

I did replace all the bearings in my tranny. The only thing I did differently is driving with Fuel Efficency in mind. Drafting helps alot!

Yes, I am going to do the CA to FED VX conversion. I got the 49-state ECU. I'm looking for the O2 sensor connector and I'll be purchasing a Bosch 13246 sensor.

You going to do the conversion? One guy has already done it. Next will either be me or you .
Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:34 AM   #22
Registered Member

Yeah I'm thinking about buying an 49-state ECU from TomO and then I'm going to the junkyard today to grab a 5 wire connector off a Honda there along with a bunch of other parts I need. All Ill need then is the 5 wire O2 sensor. Hey what size is your spare tire? Mine didn't come with one. I was going to grab one from any 92-95 civic hatch I found but I thought there might be a specific size.

smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccall View Post
Yeah I'm thinking about buying an 49-state ECU from TomO and then I'm going to the junkyard today to grab a 5 wire connector off a Honda there along with a bunch of other parts I need. All Ill need then is the 5 wire O2 sensor. Hey what size is your spare tire? Mine didn't come with one. I was going to grab one from any 92-95 civic hatch I found but I thought there might be a specific size.
Buy the ECU from Tom - he's a good guy. If you have time, can you pull me a 5 wire connector if you can find more than one? I'll pay you for the cost+shipping if that's ok with you.

I'll check my tire size this week for you.
Gary
Old 11-22-2007, 04:40 AM   #24
Registered Member

ok, I'll look for one for you. The junkyard I went to different have any so I will check two more on Friday. I'll let you know.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #25
Registered Member

cool. thanks sam.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #26
Registered Member

From my experience there are a few ways to get the most fe from a vx. The first thing that takes some getting used to is the engine that can run at very low rpms. It will actually accelerate smoothly from 1k rpm if you are very light on the gas. If you have the shift indicator light it will tell you to shift into 3rd at 19mph, 4th at 25, and 5th at 29. If you need to seriously accelerate this will not happen at 1100rpm, but under many conditions, even in traffic, you can pull of gentle acceleration from 1,100 or 1,200 rpm. Once you have the lean burn, you can try to keep it in lean burn by letting off the gas a bit and losing some speed on hills. also, since it is not super aerodynamic, going above 55 drastically reduces your economy. I would guess the mpg would be impressive if you could drive a tank at 33mph in 5th, but i am not patient enough. The low rolling resistance tires should help quite a bit on a car so small and sensative as the vx. I cant wait for mine to wear out! enjoy!
I run synthetic amsoil syncromesh manual tranny fluid in mine, 8k since i put it in with no problems, but cant vouch for its long term compatability. Also have mobil 1 synthetic in the engine. I would say maybe 1-2 mpg for both, but with the vx fuel tank it is really hard to tell.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:13 AM   #27
Registered Member

Welcome VXHatch! Man, I'm jealous at all you vx owners. Maybe next year I'll be lucky enough to find a diamond in the ruff. Or maybe I'll make one myself. It hurts to see people ask for so much more for the si models, eventhough they have the rear 1/4 panel rust. Nice to have you here and look forward to your future posts about your VX. (nice color too )
204snic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #28
Registered Member

Thanks!

In regards to the 1/4 panel rust that is prevalent on both 5G Civics and 3G Integras, a contributing factor is the inner wheel arch molding installed by Honda at the factory. This molding traps dirt and moisture, breeding rust. The VX I purchased still had the molding, and when removed, there was lots of trapped dirt, but no rust. If your car has these moldings remove them, clean out the inner wheel wells with a pressure washer and throw the moldings away!

Doug
GasSavers_vxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #29
Registered Member

Oh yes I agree! That rubber strip on the rear wheelwell of most Hondas rusts them apart terribly. I had an 89 Accord a while back, and the rust was so bad underneath the strip, that I never took it off since it was all the held the entire wheelwell lip together.... I can't believe that car still had it installed though it was over 20 years old and had around 170k miles on it.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #30
Registered Member

Good advice Doug