Just purchased '93 Civic VX - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Registered Member

the easy way to check it is if it has a tach or not, the engine code (D15b8 vs D15z1).

also his new stuff on it was way overinflated, such as a 10 dollar thermostat that costed him 100, a $100 radiator that cost him 300, and a starter wonld definately not cost 300. 2 bolts to unscrew + 3 wires

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
Registered Member

I would keep it since i doubt he will refund you any money.

To swap in a VX motor isn't hard, but you can get pretty much the same mileage with the CX. And anyway, the only difference b/t the two cars, is the longblock. Just think of it of a VX minus the longblock.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:42 PM   #13
Registered Member

Yeah, looks like I am keeping the car. I would try to type up some of our conversation on the phone, but I am sure you can all guess how it went.

I have put 310 miles on the car so far, and it is a good little car. I just wish it was a VX like the seller said it was.

My first tank was 37.4 MPG, almost all highway driving, but I also drive from 70-85MPH most of the time, so I am sure the car would do better.
SoAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAngel View Post
Yeah, looks like I am keeping the car. I would try to type up some of our conversation on the phone, but I am sure you can all guess how it went.

I have put 310 miles on the car so far, and it is a good little car. I just wish it was a VX like the seller said it was.

My first tank was 37.4 MPG, almost all highway driving, but I also drive from 70-85MPH most of the time, so I am sure the car would do better.
Oh yeah, driving w/the cx/vx tranny gearing at that speed kills your mileage. On a long road trip I recently did with my VX, I went around 75-80 the entire way there and ended up with 38 mpg! Terrible!

On the way home, I kept the speed around 55-65, while following trucks a little more, and I was rewarded with 60mpg! HUGE difference for around a 10mph difference. I think a lot of it has to do with the car overcoming the air resistance at high speeds. That and keeping your tires nice and full.

I would do a full tune-up on the car, and you should see some nice mileage as a reward. Also be sure to swap the OEM intake onto it if it's missing. I gained around 4 mpg with that replaced on mine after switching from a SR intake.

I saw you are on tst as well. You should start a member journal on there to document your progress if you have time. It's always interesting to see the before and after pictures.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote