Just purchased '93 Civic VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Just purchased '93 Civic VX

I had a couple of posts on here because I was hunting for a VX.

Today I purchased this car:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/car/508318784.html

He was firm firm firm on the price, but I bought it anyway for the asking price. Seems to be a good little car so far. I put about 160 miles on it today and got it PA inspected/emissioned. Going to get my first gas mileage results tomorrow because I will be driving over 200 miles tomorrow as well, and I am anxious to see the results.

Previous owner stated 38-42 MPG ... I am hoping to find the ways to getting higher than that. I asked him about the original VX wheels, but he said he sold them. He said the 15" wheels that are on it now weigh pretty similar, but I don't really know other than that is what he told me.

Anyway, I am a car buying freak. I am 27 years old and I have had almost 50 cars now. I currently own 7 cars. I was dead set on a VX because of the amazing gas mileage results I was seeing from other people, and I drive 40,000+ miles per year, so I had to have one. I hope this car treats me well.

SoAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

Actually, I just ran the VIN decode and I am not certain it is a VX-
2HGEH2351PH

Says CX in a link that I found. I am calling him right now.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

I looked at the listing and his prices for the replacement parts were grossly overinflated. $100 for a thermostat? $300 for a starter?

According to the Helm factory service manual you have a DX. The 5 in 2HGEH2351PH denotes a 1993 DX, 4 is a CX, 6 is a VX, and 8 is an Si. My 92 VX is a 2HGEH2360NH N=1992

Hope you can get your money back.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

Some link I found on here broke it down to a CX. I also Carfaxed it and it shows 1993 CX. We spoke on the phone and he ASSUMED it was a VX because of the ~40MPGs. I explained to him that I SPECIFICALLY wanted a VX and that I am unhappy because of this. The car drove fine and was in the condition as described, but he did not have what he said he was selling. I told him that we are both at a loss, because he returned his registration already and I already paid for PA inspection/emission, but I told him that I would bring the car back or I want a significant amount of cash. He told me he will call back in an hour or so.

He is a nice guy, and I am certain he wasn't trying to rip me off, but that doesn't change my mind about this. I don't know of any solution to offer him that will seem fair to either of us at this point. It is a shame. This is what I get for trying to do things quickly.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

By the way, this is the link I used to break down the VIN
http://members.lycos.nl/hendrik/honda/vin.htm
Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

My shop manual is from 1992 and doesn't include the del Sol which started in 93. Hence all numbers went up by one. A CX wasn't what you wanted so I would want my money back too.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

It's too bad you didn't know what to look for in advance. Gassavers.org is the premier Civic VX web site on the planet. Just reading TomO's info links would have let you find out about the features unique to the VX. Again good luck with the seller. You're kind of at a disadvantage now, I'm afraid.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Since you've already had it smogged, maybe you could get him to give you back your money plus the cost to smog it.

A CX should get in the mileage range he observed. For him to be selling it as a VX is not reasonable. If I were looking for a VX, then I'd try to get your money back and then move on. It probably isn't worth the hassle to push for more than that.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Registered Member

Yep, I understand I am in a bad spot, and mostly my own fault. It was a quick decision.

I have a Toyota MR2 Turbo project car right now that hasn't seen the rode in over a year. I have a Passat 1.8t that I just bought off of the highway that was broken down that I haven't even looked at yet. I have a daily driver Nissan Sentra SE-R. I bought my girlfriend a Saturn SL2, and I have a Durango. I have a '98 Mazda 626 that I just bought that is being delivered on Sunday.

Recently, her Saturn starting leaking anti-freeze. No big deal, she started driving the Durango, because I didn't feel like working on the Saturn, it is cold outside.

On Monday, my radiator in my SE-R acquired a nice big crack across the top, so I was left without a good running vehicle.

I had a friend drive me today to get this Civic because I wanted a running car (which I got), and I have been looking for a VX for a bit now to take the place of my SE-R. So I bought something that seemed decent for the price, somewhat local, and got me out of a no-running-car-at-the-moment jam.

So I will be able to go to work tomorrow, but I will be going in a car that I did not really want. And I will have a Mazda 626 waiting for me on Sunday, so this car is a complete waste in my opinion, as I was going to have a good running vehicle soon enough and could've been more patient in finding a VX.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hi SoAngel I am sorry to hear about your situation. I looked up the model ID codes in my 92-95 honda service manual and decided to make a list of model codes for those people that may be looking to buy a Civic particularly the VX. The 8th dgit on the VIN tag needs to be a 9 counting from left to right.
A CX=4, DX=5, SI=8, VX=9. The VX has an engine code # D15Z1 which will be stamped in a flat casting on the front passanger side of the engine directly underneath the water neck next to where the tranny bolts up. I know this info is to late for SoAngel but it may help some one else.

soletek is offline   Reply With Quote