Love this place! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-31-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Love this place!

Hi!

Names Terry. Been on here reading as much as I can for the last week. I ran across this site accidently when found metroMPG.com (I googled some info on my vehicle).

A little about me.

I have a hand me down 92 Suzuki Sidekick JS 2 door convertible 1.6L 8 valve 5 speed.

When I first got it I had to do a lot to get it in shape. My old man had rebuilt the head with 185K on the clock but did little else. Truck was getting 20 mpg on the hwy.

Now it's 28.7 mixed. Looking to get more.

Anyhow, I'm 33 and live in the New Orleans area and have always hated SUVs and the way people are driving them. Started getting into the FE thing a few years back but where I live there are only a few of us. My landlord has an EV and a solar powered house! I'm not there yet but it's good to surround yourself with other like minded people, hence why I am here.

Looking forward to getting to know ya'll!

Old 12-31-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Driving on E

welcome Terry! Glad to have you here!

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brelandt
Hi!

Names Terry. Been on here reading as much as I can for the last week. I ran across this site accidently when found metroMPG.com (I googled some info on my vehicle).

A little about me.

I have a hand me down 92 Suzuki Sidekick JS 2 door convertible 1.6L 8 valve 5 speed.

When I first got it I had to do a lot to get it in shape. My old man had rebuilt the head with 185K on the clock but did little else. Truck was getting 20 mpg on the hwy.

Now it's 28.7 mixed. Looking to get more.

Anyhow, I'm 33 and live in the New Orleans area and have always hated SUVs and the way people are driving them. Started getting into the FE thing a few years back but where I live there are only a few of us. My landlord has an EV and a solar powered house! I'm not there yet but it's good to surround yourself with other like minded people, hence why I am here.

Looking forward to getting to know ya'll!

Welcome to the site terry! maybe you should have your lanlord join here too! his car and solar powered house would be of great interest to people here.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike
Welcome to the site terry! maybe you should have your lanlord join here too! his car and solar powered house would be of great interest to people here.
Welcome Terry! I think talking to your landlord about joining would be a cool thing.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

"Anyhow, I'm 33 and live in the New Orleans area and have always hated SUVs and the way people are driving them."
Welcome Terry..........I TOO HATE SUV'S.......way too many on the roads with just a driver!
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for everyones welcoming!

I don't think my landlord would be interested??? Although I could be wrong.....

Anyhow, he is a HUGE electronics geek. Use to own his own TV repair shop and now works on all of the eletriconics for the parish (county).

His house is wonderful! Small but that is all the room he needs. No reason in powering up a 3000 Sq Ft home for 2 people. He has a solar panel about 6 foot square that connects to a bank of batteries. batteries are good for 7 days of power. I more power is needed there is a gas powered motor from an edger with a belt driven 100 amp altenator from JCWhitney that will recharge the batteries. The only thing powered off of the grill is the A/C which can be handled by solar but he doesn't have the system to do it.

The EV is an old fiberglass car from the late 60's made just for 2 passenger short commutes. It's modded and will do 65 mph but at only a 20 mile range.

Anyhow, they are great people to hang out with and have opened their home before for an all solar powered home traveling group aka open house for both educated and uneducated alike for the progression of solar energy.

And Roadranger.....Hell yes! the wal-mart parking lot is filled with tan Tahoes driven by middleaged blonde woman that are only running in for a gallon of milk. Get a Metro or even a minivan! Then watch them tear out of the parking lot cut me off at the stoplight and run 75 out on the hwy that's limited to 45!!!!!

Anyhow, don't get me started!!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
Registered Member

SUV, Sport Utility Vehicle: Wasn't that originally coined to describe the type of vehicle used to get to a site where one could participate in sport? Fly fishing, hiking, camping, white water rafting. The vehicles themselves weren't 'sporting' in the sense of a 'sports car', but they were eminently capable of carrying you to the sport.
A Trailways interstate bus is just as much an SUV nowadays. "We chartered a luxury coach to take us to the football stadium for the game." When was the last time you saw an Escalade on 22 inch chrome rims on the Rubicon trail?
And isn't a Sidekick just a much smaller version of that SUV genre?
Oops, Sorry 'bout that.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
And isn't a Sidekick just a much smaller version of that SUV genre?
Oops, Sorry 'bout that.
ha! yep you are right....but more like a small commuter that was designed to drive at less than 55mph to get you from one beach to the next.

Not exactly a FE car by any means. My old 91 Integra got better mileage in really bad traffic than this thing does out on the highway or at least it use to before I tuned the sidekicks engine. Even then it's bad.

Problem is the final gear. I do not have a tach but I need to shift into second gear before I even cross a two lane street and runs fine in 5th at 30mph!!!! Engine sounds like it's running at least 3000 doing 60mph. Just wasn't meant to be driven that fast, I guess?