Mad Driver - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mad Driver

Hey everybody. Don't let the title mislead you. But I do work for an oil company and make GAS. There are several truths about gas. But the one that we all have in common is the need for it to keep us comfortable in our lifestyle and keep it affordable. I have joined this group to share my experiences and learn new technologies to improve my lifestyle. I have been reading the posts and there appears to be many knowledgeable members. Going to be a great experience on that alone. Mad Driver? Not really but filling the fuel tank at 25 to 30 bucks is hard to accept. If we can reach deep in our pockets to pull that kind of change out, then lets all reach deep in our ideas and find ways to capitalize on using that fuel efficiently.
Hopefully I will be able to offer some great new ideas to the group. My real hobby is older cars. 1950s and 60s. So with that comes the reason why I am searching new technology to improve my old. Any improvement is a good improvement. Lets exchange what we know. Ken from Texas
KenS

GasSavers_KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
*shrug*

What type of old cars, I

What type of old cars, I wonder. Like AMCs and crap or XK150s and such. You sound very clever, and insider to help us wage the war on oil. Or something silly like that.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Old cars

I have a couple of T-birds. A 1955 and a 1957. Those were interesting and enjoyable cars. My interest is in American cars since thats where the parts are and where I live. Also drive a 1965 Thunderbird daily. Great for driving and riding. Lots of thumbs up. Fuel thirst is heavy on these cars comparing cost of fuel then and now. I don't have one of the type of cars you guys talk about mostly on the chat group. But, that shouldn't make much difference. All the vehicles can appreciate improvement.
What mechanical background do you have? Do you have automotive computerization education? I dont have enough to work on the newer vehicles but I do understand the function of the various engine addons. I do my own vehicle restoration work. In fact, doing a couple of other cars now. The 55 and 57 are due for freshening up in the future. Not much that I dont do on my own vehicles. Ken
GasSavers_KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
*shrug*

I'm still to young to have

I'm still to young to have any real education, 17, so I'm mostly self taught. So I really haven't done much mechanical or restorational. I just haven't had the opportunity. However, the electronics crap was readily available for me to learn on, so I was able to get into it. If you wanna pick up a good book on new sensors and electronics stuff, check out Building & Tuning High-Performance Electronic Fuel Injection by Ben Strader, it's a pretty good intro.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Cool old rides. The dash

Cool old rides. The dash display on those old T-Birds is still impressive. That 390 though fast, is indeed thirsty even though the car is remarkably light for its size. I spent my youth on several of a friends 60's 289 Mustangs another friends 65 390 bird and granpas 440 Newport with the highly advanced "lean burn" engine.
The old rigs, being built simply, are truly a joy to work for us more mechanically than electronically inclined. As I'm sure you know, the modern engine management systems are the largest contributor to fuel mileage. Tuning the ignition and fuel systems perfectly as well as driving style can result in some pretty good gains for older vehicles. We managed one 25 mpg tank in a 289 mustang but usually it was leaving black stripes at stoplights. He he he
Current project is a '78 stripper 911 Porsche undergoing restoration. It's on a rotisserie now slowly getting cleaned before iether a dip or blast (haven't decided which way to go). Suggestions please!
Welcome to the group Ken!
bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote