Make a guzzler a sipper - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM   #11
Registered Member

Well its more like 3600 lbs. Less now, I have removed about a 100 lbs In the front. The later caprice (4000+)had a lot more glass, and more crash structure. I think it is fairly areodymanic. I have removed 95% of the trim on it. The nose on it is only 18 inches tall. Only the headlights, and the bumper, push against the wind. The windshield is fairly upright, but if I Make a custom hood that is raised up 6 inches at the base of the window it will help. My fuel pressure is 11.5 pounds, and I have it set high as it will go. I can double that at least. I have read about cameros and the heavy Buick Roadmasters with tbi that get 25-30+ mpg and they dont even have bellypans or wheel skirts. The underbody is horible on these cars (like pickups) and I think they would greatly benifit from belly pans.

Driving around here is mostly 50 mph with a stoplight every mile. Theres no hills at all. Yes I read about the Town car guy, and the laser, I am really slow about working on my car. It took 2 years to Change engines. (a weeks worth of work) because I am at work all the time. I have only driven it 3000 miles with the new engine, and my best mpg is 15. Mind you thats with a transmission that is shifting no sooner than 2500 RPM and its not broken in yet, and the heads and cam on this engine are actually meant for a carburated puckup. It has 8.5 compression ratio. It has a lot of potental, but I like it. You guys are too skeptical! Gosh!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
Supporting Member

I'm not a sceptic. I enjoy seeing people do stuff like this. Go for it. My only advise is you'll probably see the most gain from driving technique. I would also suggest some type of FE instrumentation.

Good luck. Check out my belly pan build too.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice View Post
Driving around here is mostly 50 mph with a stoplight every mile. Theres no hills at all... I have only driven it 3000 miles with the new engine, and my best mpg is 15. Mind you thats with a transmission that is shifting no sooner than 2500 RPM... You guys are too skeptical! Gosh!
I can't wait for you to start your gaslog.

With large engines, there's more benefit to turning off the engine for coasts and stoplights. Remember, even a change from 15mpg to 16mpg save a lot of fuel in the long run (compared to say 46mpg to 47mpg).

PS - when I had my 5.0L V8 Thunderbird, the automatic transmission shifted very early; rarely beyond 1700rpm. It got 24 mpg when driving @ 80mph in June weather (without any instant mpg feedback while driving).
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #14
Registered Member

I was able to get 32 MPG out of a 3.0L V6 Maxima with a automatic transmission and your EPA is only 2mpg lower then the Nissan. Work the whole car from aero to engine. You'll notice from fill to fill it keeps going up. Go luck with the project.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #15
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprice View Post
)
You guys are too skeptical! Gosh!
I think I'm going to agree with you caprice. I think that if you can afford to buy a more FE friendly car you should. Not everyone can though. You should be commended for your efforts. I have a '78 F-250 that I only drive when neccessary and I have some idea what you're up against. My thought is that if anything needs improvement it's these types of vehicles.

Quote:
I can spend hours reading about cars, whether it is about power or efficiency.
Perhaps you would enjoy checking this site out. This guy thinks you can have power and efficiency. http://powrehaus.com/index.php?optio...tpage&Itemid=1

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #16
*shrug*

Is that a rehashing of mpgresearch?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #17
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Is that a rehashing of mpgresearch?
Not really. Power Haus is more about the performance side of FE. He is involved with mpgresearch but Power Haus is where he makes his living.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #18
*shrug*

Interesting, I just saw formatting similarities so I thought I'd ask.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #19
FE nut

I think his wife set up both sites.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn