mikefxu: 96 CX hatch w/ EX trans 30mpg. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #11
*shrug*

Eliminating the cat on a

Eliminating the cat on a ~110 hp honda isn't even worth a full hp. Even on turbo'd hondas people only say it's worth 2-3hp and definately not worth eliminating.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:00 AM   #12
Registered Member

on my car it's worth 10hp

on my car it's worth 10hp

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:06 AM   #13
*shrug*

It's been demonstrated that

It's been demonstrated that nissan doesn't do the best job designing there cars. Everything can be changed for 5 bajillion horsepower because nothing was built too well to begin with. And it's not like they get good gas mileage so you can't even argue that.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #14
Registered Member

I did not remove cat for

I did not remove cat for performance. The 96-00 Civic DX/CX/LX had a integrated cat it was part of the exhaust manifold and was one piece unlike the CRX HF exhaust manifold so to replace the entire exhaust manifold and cat is a geniune honda part affair and cost too much. Like I said the car has 400k and it was the orginal cat and was clogged. I have looked over this site and have not seen reliable claims on how free flowing exhaust or intake affect MPG on a Honda. MetroMPG showed no significant difference between a WAI and a CAI. I think someone is lining up a exhaust test and I would love to see those results. I think its easier to accelerate anytime you have more power and with less delay. I have been driving like grandma all week and ripped on it yesterday it felt so much faster after not accelerating for a week. Thing that sucks is my clutch is slipping over 6000RPM and I just changed the tranny and bought a clutch kit just to get the throwout bearing since the one on the old trans was busted. Now I have 8 hours to look forward to pulling the trans again to install the rest of the clutch kit. Clutch was changed when I swapped the engine but I guess I beat on it too much and its wore out. Clutch would not slip with CX trans but does with EX trans. I guess due to more torque applied to the clutch now.
mikefxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:11 AM   #15
Registered Member

Re: It's been demonstrated that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
It's been demonstrated that nissan doesn't do the best job designing there cars. Everything can be changed for 5 bajillion horsepower because nothing was built too well to begin with. And it's not like they get good gas mileage so you can't even argue that.
that's true, everything on the car sucks.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:12 AM   #16
*shrug*

I'm the one doing the

I'm the one doing the exhaust test, still waiting on my digital fuel economy gauge though. You should be able to find the y8 exhaust stuff pretty cheap. I picked up a full exhaust for the cx for free, though the y8 bottom stuff might actually cost money.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #17
Registered Member

Can't wait to see you test.

Can't wait to see you test. Man I miss my CRX but I just cannot drive on the interstate every day in such a little wedge.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #18
*shrug*

I'm on the interstate pretty

I'm on the interstate pretty regularly, doing 55, , it's pretty tame around me though. You got any exhaust manifolds you want tested? So far I have stock, stock modified, d15b8, d16z6, and mehbe some random aftermarket header.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:38 AM   #19
Registered Member

Re: I'm on the interstate pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I'm on the interstate pretty regularly, doing 55, , it's pretty tame around me though. You got any exhaust manifolds you want tested? So far I have stock, stock modified, d15b8, d16z6, and mehbe some random aftermarket header.
you should be some kind of a salesman or even a police negotiator, you persuade people too easy.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #20
Registered Member

Ebay headers have gotten so

Ebay headers
Ebay headers have gotten so cheap you can buy them for less than $50. Are you just testing headers or the exhaust system also?

« FFI | maxc »